No announcement yet.

wondering if I know what part i'm looking for?? 58 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: wondering if I know what part i'm looking for?? 58 Champion

Hello, Have a "newbie" question for you... I started working on my 58 Champion, and I'm wondering about a cross member I have to replace, it's the one running just in front of the cowl, is this called the "front frame cross member" or is it "rear engine support cross member?", I am getting the manuals as we speak, but was wondering which piece this is? Car is a 6 cyl 3 speed

Cheers
    RJ

It's called a MEMBER, Engine Rear Support Cross.

On a 1958 Champion with three-speed manual transmission (not Hawk or taxicab), it is Part #1539089. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi Bob, Many thanks, boy this Studebaker crew is awesome, I've gotten soooo much advice and great help, already.... makes me so glad I choose this car for my project . Cheers RJ

Comment

... Does anyone make this part? Cheers-RJ

Comment

Originally posted by RJMcGregor View Post
          ... Does anyone make this part? Cheers-RJ
          I doubt it; there would be little demand for it.

However, with all the oddball stuff Ed Reynolds has uncovered -and continues to uncover- I'd run that part number through Studebaker International first, if you need one. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

RJ,

The following link has been very valuable to me finding missing or unservicable parts. All the vendors listed specialize in Studebaker parts.

John

Comment

no luck finding Rear Frame Cross Member....

well No luck finding one kicking around, has anyone any parts cars kicking around 56-58ish?? couple other small things I need too... loving this project and this car

Comment

You should buy the chassis and body parts books. Everything is pictured along with how it interacts with the other parts, where/how it fits, and what fasteners are used. It's like having the instructions for assembling a model car kit.

As an example, the books will tell you what other years and models of Studebakers take the same part.

All the major Studebaker parts vendors carry them. IMO, they are more useful than the shop manual, but you should buy one of those also.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I don't know if it is the same part, but I have the crossmember that supported the rear of the engine from my 53 Commander hardtop (K). Had a manual trans. Different year, different engine, etc. If you can figure out if it fits, it is available. I am in ND, so not so far away.
                  Rob in ND
                  \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Comment

I wonder if anyone else here knows the answer to this one?, many thanks to 53hardtop, I'll find out!, cheers!

Comment

this part is different between coupes/hardtops and sedans/wagons. Since the frames are vastly different, that makes sense.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        I doubt it; there would be little demand for it.

However, with all the oddball stuff Ed Reynolds has uncovered -and continues to uncover- I'd run that part number through Studebaker International first, if you need one. BP
                        The old SASCO had them before the sale to Ed.
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                        X