Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will CalTrac Bars Fit The Hawk Frame/Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Will CalTrac Bars Fit The Hawk Frame/Springs?

I have seen references about installing CalTrac bars on Studebakers but I don't see how their system would work on the Hawk springs with the front spring eye recessed in the frame. Has anyone tried them on a C/K or Hawk frame? I have a 56 Power Hawk frame.

Yes, with a bit of work. The subject has been discussed at length. One of our talented members, Dan Giblin, has made a few sets. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=giblin

No, there's no part number available from CalTrac. Even though they won't make and sell a Studebaker kit, CalTrac got on Dan's case and coerced him to stop making them for us.

Maybe, do the research and modify them yourself.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      Yes, with a bit of work. The subject has been discussed at length. One of our talented members, Dan Giblin, has made a few sets. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=giblin

jack vines
      I had read this thread and everything I could find on the SDC site relating to traction bars but it still isn't clear to me how to make them work on the Hawk frame. I have helped install them on an early Chevy II but the spring eye is not as far recessed as the Hawk and it looks like the Avanti is easier to access as well. Can you help me understand what modifications can be made to make them work/fit?

The way I see it I would need to cut the front bushings to be the same width as the spring and then possibly make a new "L" shaped bracket to replace the original from CalTrac.

Thanks,

Larry
      Last edited by Baker54; 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Why not go directly to the man, gibbsr1 with a PM? Dan's a great guy and a master fabricator.

jack vines
        Last edited by PackardV8; 04-30-2012, 10:30 AM.
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

Why not go directly to the man, gibbsr1 with a PM? Dan's a great guy and a master fabricator.

jack vines
          Thanks, I will.

Comment

PM Sent To "gibbsr1" Regarding CalTrac Bars

I sent a PM to gibbsr1 regarding CalTrac Bars. Any help making this contact would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X