Different Mufflers vs. Chambered exhaust - Opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Different Mufflers vs. Chambered exhaust - Opinions please

As I'm getting my 327 in my 62 2 door Lark Custom together, I'm thinking about exhaust. My car is going to have the sleeper look: original paint, white wheels with stock poverty caps, etc. I bought dual over the axle pipes (stock design) from Parks Pipes. The car is totally old school: 327 Chevy, Muncie 4 speed, 3.73 posi. No power anything. I am using rams horns manifolds and Avanti down pipes. Now I need to figure out what to do for the mufflers. This is strictly a weekend cruise night kind of car. It would be cool to use chambered mufflers but would be pretty loud. I'm told the sound is much more toned down with a full exhaust which I will have (as opposed to sidepipes or in front of wheel exits). I could also use flowmasters or something even quieter for the total sleeper effect.

I'd love to hear some opinions based on your experience.

I'm sure there are low restriction mufflers that are quieter than the "free-flow" type. I think even some offer a cable operated internal baffle that will allow you to make it free-flow. The louder it is outside, the louder it will be inside. With the 3:73 gear, your engine RPM will be above mid range, cruising at interstate speed. Inside, that droning noise becomes very annoying, very quick. Keep this in mind as you look. Just speaking from past experience. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
    Auburn, GA
    Last edited by ROADRACELARK; 04-23-2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I put chambered mufflers on my 66 Mustang and plan to put them on my Stude at a later date. They sound great and are quite affordable. Here's the link... http://www.classicchambered.com/
      sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
      Regal Deluxe Trim
      Automatic transmission
      46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I've no experience with chambered exhaust but I have used both Flowmasters and Magnaflow. They're both excellent quality but do give different tones. The Flowmasters give a loud, raspy sound that seemingly will shatter windows as you go through a neighborhood. The Magnaflows give a low burble that opens up with speed...not objectionable at all.

The car and engine can give a different sound so it's difficult to make a blanket statement. The Flowmasters were on a big block Mopar I used to own. I have Magnaflows on my both my '70 and '02 Avantis. The '02 gives a low rumble that sounds like power waiting to be unleashed. The '70 Avanti has a 350HO crate engine that sounds louder at idle and really opens up with speed. My '69 427 Corvette has Magnaflows and when it starts up and idles the ground shakes under the car, so different sizes and engines can make the difference as much as muffler brand.

At one time in my life the sound of the Flowmasters would have been nice but now I like the Magnaflows much better.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
        X