Polarizing the Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Polarizing the Generator

Have got a question on my '51 Champion. Do I need to repolarize the generator every time I take the leads off the battery? The battery leads are taken off the battery frequently as I work on the car. So after putting in new wires, do I still need to do this every time the battery is hooked backed up?

While some may say yes...I've done (polarized) my 54, 6 volt Conestoga...1 (one) time in the years I've owned it. And like you, I normally disconnect the battery when it sits for more thAn a week or so....which means it's disconnected...most of the time.

Just to proove it to yourself, disconnect the battery for a week, reconnect and start the engine. Note what the AMP (or volt) meter says...! Not a big deal to check and verify for yourself.

Mike

Comment

I have never done this on any of the generator equipped cars I've owned, and it never affected the charging. The only time I polarized them was after changing a generator or voltage regulator. I'm sure you'll get lots of other opinions.

Dave Bonn
      '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Just make sure you follow the Shop Manual as Delco and Autolite are Polarized opposite each other.

Most Champions have Autolite. They should Polorize Batt. to Field.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You generally don't need to polarize a generator after re-connecting a battery. The easiest way to determine if you need to polarize it is to check the voltage at the battery with the car running. If it's charging then you have no need to polarize it. If it isn't charging you need to polarize it...simple. Follow StudeRichs' advice if it is needed. A helpful hint, make sure everything that draws a current is turned off when you connect/disconnect the battery. A spark at the battery could (but not always) de-polarize the generator.

Joe
          sigpic

1962 Daytona
          1964 Cruiser
          And a few others

Comment

Welcome back, Rich! You were missed.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
            X