super charger belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: super charger belt

I have been reading here that one the problems with early water pump wear is the belt tension. Would it be possible to use an electric water pump/ motor thus removing the pump from the belt circuit?

Originally posted by K-Hawk View Post
    I have been reading here that one the problems with early water pump wear is the belt tension. Would it be possible to use an electric water pump/ motor thus removing the pump from the belt circuit?

Electric water pumps are used for drag cars, but won't move enough water to work for over a few minutes. It sounds like you are looking for a complicated solution to a minor issue. It's not like water pumps on supercharged cars fail every 20,000 miles or so. I've owed many R2's, but never found pump failure to be a major issue with the HD pump.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

I'll toss this out for discussion.....

My take is that there needs to be a surge valve inserted in between the supercharger and the air bonnet/carb box.
      Run the discharge to the air intake hose...after the air filter (to keep it quiet).
      My reasoning?
      I think that the belts get an extreme load put on them every time the driver goes from full throttle to idle (lifts off the gas pedal).
      Yes, the tensioner should allow some movement, but the stalling of the supercharger, even if only momentarily, because of the pressure spike between the supercharger and the throttle butterflies....causes the belts to slip, and that starts the slippage process.
      Ever hear that belt chirp when you let off?

What'cha all think?
      (Note that I didn't say 'blow off valve', as that term drives some people on a supercharged application).
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

On my R-2 Hawk the supercharger belt doesn't contact the water pump. Crank pulley/tension pulley/supercharger.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

To: K-Hawk,----Yes, whoever dreamed up the blower belts- over- the water pump idea probably didn't receive a trophy for 'Engineering Brilliance' that year!

Comment

Working...
          X