'63-'64 Avanti Water Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: '63-'64 Avanti Water Pumps

I have always understood that the '63-'64 Avanti Water Pump not only fit Avantis, but that it was the preferred water pump for all Stude V-8s from 1951-64. But I just noticed in the Studebaker International catalog this note next to their part # 1560395, "Fits Avanti only, not used on other R-eng. cars."

Is this really true or a mistake in the SI catalog? Also, does anyone know if all vendors are using the same supplier for new and rebuilt pumps? If there are different suppliers, which suppliers/vendors have you had good luck with? I ask because I have what what appears to be a new pump (bought enough years ago that I do not remember where I purchased it). This pump has enough problems that I am afraid to use it. For instance, the diameter of the hub of the pump is about .005" over what it needs to be to fit into the fan clutch. Also, the impeller was too close to the body of the pump, and after pulling it out to where it should be, the end of the pump shaft is recessed into the impeller 3/8" instead of the end of the shaft and the impeller being more or less flush. After breaking it free while pulling the impeller out, it moved more and more easily as I pulled it, and that makes me wonder if the impeller might be in danger of coming off the shaft while in operation.

So I am considering getting a new pump, but I want one that is made and assembled correctly this time. All ideas are welcome.
    Stan Gundry
    www.AvantiPublishing.com

I'd say the SI text is mistaken, the HD Avanti gusseted water pump should fit any Studebaker V-8 except the early '51's.

Comment

Avanti and Lark/Hawk V-8 waterpumps do NOT interchange. While the Avanti pump will physically bolt on the flange area is different.

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      I'd say the SI text is mistaken, the HD Avanti gusseted water pump should fit any Studebaker V-8 except the early '51's.
      Last edited by 41 Frank; 04-15-2012, 03:07 PM.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

To: 41 Frank,---- I don't know about that Frank. I recently removed a standard, un-gusseted water pump from an R-2 Avanti. (scary) Replaced it with the correct flanged Avanti pump and it definitely was a direct interchange.
        No fit problems whatsoever!

Comment

I stand by what I said. I stock both types of pumps and there is a difference. All my catalogs and the wholesale supplier catalog can't all be wrong. The difference is in the size of the pilot for the fan assy. Th Avanti pump had a larger pilot to fit snugly to the viscous unit. If you put on a standard pump you now do not have a snug fit of the pilot to the viscous fan assy.

To: 41 Frank,---- I don't know about that Frank. I recently removed a standard, un-gusseted water pump from an R-2 Avanti. (scary) Replaced it with the correct flanged Avanti pump and it definitely was a direct interchange.
          No fit problems whatsoever!
          Last edited by 41 Frank; 04-15-2012, 04:07 PM.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

In addition to the Avanti pump there is also a HD non Avanti pump available.

Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
              I stand by what I said. I stock both types of pumps and there is a difference. All my catalogs and the wholesale supplier catalog can't all be wrong. The difference is in the size of the pilot for the fan assy. Th Avanti pump had a larger pilot to fit snugly to the viscous unit. If you put on a standard pump you now do not have a snug fit of the pilot to the fan assy.
              Yep, Frank is right. I put a 'gussetted' R2 Avanti pump on my Champ truck engine, and had to machine the 'pilot' hole in the fan spacer deeper so I could use the stock Champ fan.
              Last edited by r1lark; 04-15-2012, 04:51 PM. Reason: clarity
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

To: 41 Frank,-----I get what You're saying regarding the longer pilot, But Stan is asking if He can install the Avanti flanged pump on a standard Studebaker V-8. I say He can do this, NO PROBLEM. (post '51)

Comment

Yes I understand, but if a person wants to use the Avanti pump on non Avanti application he will have to mill the pilot diameter down to fit his non Avanti fan assy.

To: 41 Frank,-----I get what You're saying regarding the longer pilot, But Stan is asking if He can install the Avanti flanged pump on a standard Studebaker V-8. I say He can do this, NO PROBLEM. (post '51)
                  Last edited by 41 Frank; 04-15-2012, 04:37 PM.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

To:41 Frank,-----Are You saying that the center hole in, say, a standard Studebaker V-8 four-blade fan is a different diameter than the centering hole at the rear of a Studebaker V-8 viscous drive?

Comment

I stand corrected on the diameter misnomer, the pilot is a longer length to fit in the viscous drive deeper. My apologies.
                      To:41 Frank,-----Are You saying that the center hole in, say, a standard Studebaker V-8 four-blade fan is a different diameter than the centering hole at the rear of a Studebaker V-8 viscous drive?
                      Last edited by 41 Frank; 04-15-2012, 05:05 PM.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

To: 41 Frank,------Sorry Frank, but Your wrong. Just went out to the shop and measured a four-blade Studebaker V-8 fan, and a Studebaker Avanti V-8 fan viscous.......exact same diameter centering hole!

Comment

Also See above sn60. So yes while it will fit a fan blade it will not fit the fan blade extension depth wise. But then you could always whack off the length I guess. <g>
                          Last edited by 41 Frank; 04-15-2012, 05:10 PM.
                          Frank van Doorn
                          Omaha, Ne.
                          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

To; 41 Frank,---No problem. I still can't believe someone would install a standard duty pump on an R-2 Avanti with that heavy cast iron pulley and well-tensioned Supercharger belts, but that is exactly what I came across recently!

Comment

Yes that was not a smart move on his part. The larger bearing and casting definitely increases longevity. Who knows what happened there, maybe they went to their local parts house and they said,"Stude v-8'S, they are all the same"
                              To; 41 Frank,---No problem. I still can't believe someone would install a standard duty pump on an R-2 Avanti with that heavy cast iron pulley and well-tensioned Supercharger belts, but that is exactly what I came across recently!
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X