Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antique License Registration or Regular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique License Registration or Regular?

I chose to have a regular registration instead of a restricted one--I wanted to drive my car anytime I wanted, without time constraints...I'm just wondering how many SDC members have done the same?...second guessing myself after the fact (my State allows either choice).........Marie
    Last edited by Marie Mac; 03-28-2012, 05:27 PM.

I have one of each. My 66 has regular registration. My 51 has antique plates. It suits the intended use for each of my cars.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I have collector car plates on my Studes and I go whenever and wherever I want to with no hastle. I have regular license on my F-150 and daily commuter car so it's not like I am shortchanging the government in any way. If I should ever get pulled over by the highway patrol for collector plates, I will argue my case in court!
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I have antique plates on all three of mine. Here in CT it doesn't restrict how I can drive it, though. Only the type of insurance does that.
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Marie Mac View Post
          I chose to have a regular registration instead of a restricted one--I wanted to drive my car anytime I wanted, without time constraints...I'm just wondering how many SDC members have done the same?...second guessing myself after the fact (my State allows either choice).........Marie
          Our State, Indiana, has a 3rd & 4th choice we can exercise; a personalized license plate i.e. "MM 56J" ...OR ....any 1956 Indiana license plate in good condition can be used as well. Do you have those 2 additional choices in WV???

Comment

Here in Massachusetts at one time an antique plate was only good on the weekends or to shows . Now I believe the rule is to and from shows and to and from the garage. There is a show or cruise night every day of the week now. I do not have a antique plate now but I am thinking of putting on year of manufacturer plates. I think the older plates look great. Bob

Comment

Alabama has a (YOM) law, Year of Manufacture also. That's what I run.

Comment

I have collectors plates on both of my toys, I agree with Chip, my insurance is more limiting than the plate type.
                (As an aside, I have a show plate on my Bearcat...a 1914 NM plate...which I cover with my legal plate, in the past I've driven back from a show without covering it, and no police officer has ever stopped me...I really think they have better things to do than worry if you drive your collector car too often).

The main reason I have collectors plates is that in my state, they don't require a front plate...very important with an Avanti.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                  Our State, Indiana, has a 3rd & 4th choice we can exercise; a personalized license plate i.e. "MM 56J" ...OR ....any 1956 Indiana license plate in good condition can be used as well. Do you have those 2 additional choices in WV???
                  Yes we do...I found a 1956 plate and used it when I registered...I'm waiting to know if it's accepted or not...

Comment

Definitely varies by state and, ultimately, by your insurance carrier.
                    In Pennsylvania you can't get an antique or classic plate unless you have another vehicle with standard registration.
                    You are limited to parades, club activities and occasional transportation, whatever that means. The interpretation of the state is one day a week for personal pleasure. Years ago they stopped limiting antique driving to daylight only, though many folks are still under that impression.
                    My insurance (State Farm) expects less than 2000 miles per year per vehicle. In the event my standard vehicle is laid up for a period of time, the insurance doesn't care what I drive to work or play. I do them the courtesy of letting them know when that is necessary.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Our restriction is noon Friday til noon Monday, holidays, or driving for repairs, etc...many that have restricted plates pretty much drive when they want...I've been told that you can always argue your case for the latter; but, I went with regular...

Comment

I have personalized plates on my 3 Studes. In Arizona a Historic plate is $25 and $15 per year renewal. Personalized are $25 every year plus the $25 regular fee.

Denny L
                        64 Avanti 4AVANTI
                        53 Champion Starliner Restomod 1COOL53
                        40 President Club Sedan street rod 40STBKR

Comment

To: Marie Mac,----About this business of 'arguing Your case'. The burden of proof will always be with You. Everything is fine when running on a restricted antique plate until You (Heaven forbid) have a serious
                          accident that's Your fault....then...Good Luck!! You made the RIGHT DECISION when You chose to go with a regular registration if You intend to drive Your car during the week, or to and from work
                          on a somewhat regular basis.

Comment

When my Lark is rehabilitated, it will be my daily driver, so that isn't quite the same thing you're debating. But I think I would always want to have the option to drive my baby whenever I want. So I support you in your decision to go with regular registration. Worth the extra cost (at least in Missouri it costs more for regular registration than historic).
                            ~Matt Connor
                            '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

I have regular plate and regular insurance on the '40. I found that it's cheaper and less hassle. I drive the thing whenever and wherever I fell like it really... The insurance is also a lot cheaper than a collector car pollicy. I put an Indiana 1940 plate on the front just for show.
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X