1962 Lark Y Body with a Chevy 350/TH350 and Rams Horns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: 1962 Lark Y Body with a Chevy 350/TH350 and Rams Horns

I'm going to order a pair of headpipes from Parks tomorrow and have the rest of the exhaust made up at work. What mufflers do you guys recommend? I don't want anything like glasspacks or Flowmasters; something approaching stock instead. Would 18" ovals work or should I go longer? I notice under the rear seat area of my 1962 Lark Y Body the floor kicks up about 2 feet in front of the rear end and don't want to go with a longer muffler unless necessary, I want them to lay up under said kickups.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
    I'm going to order a pair of headpipes from Parks tomorrow and have the rest of the exhaust made up at work. What mufflers do you guys recommend? I don't want anything like glasspacks or Flowmasters; something approaching stock instead. Would 18" ovals work or should I go longer? I notice under the rear seat area of my 1962 Lark Y Body the floor kicks up about 2 feet in front of the rear end and don't want to go with a longer muffler unless necessary, I want them to lay up under said kickups.
    My ears want much more sound than you but here is a link to the Magnaflow sound files. No Studes but you can compare the relative sound of their offerings. http://www.magnaflow.com/sound_files.asp

I just like Magnaflow. I have a SS set on my 83

Enjoy, Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 03-05-2012, 05:07 PM.

Comment

The Magnaflows are too noisy but I appreciate the thought

I'd consider a stock 1964 style Stude muffler but they seem to be tough to find so I'll probably wind up running a generic oval 17-18" case with 2" in/out.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Hooker AeroChamber
        Quiet but free flowing
        sigpic
        JohnP, driving & reviving
        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
          I'll probably wind up running a generic oval 17-18" case with 2" in/out.
          That's what I used in my 54 with a 327. The muffler shop called them "turbo mufflers". I put 35,000 miles on that car and was never uncomfortable with the noise at any speed. I did have exhaust cut outs that I could uncork if I wanted to make noise. Here is a video my son did of the car. You can get a good idea of the noise both inside and outside of the car...

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Headpipes have been ordered; still deciding on mufflers. Again; I prefer something comparable to stock since I'm no fan of loud exhaust systems anymore.

Comment

I have a 1962 lark convertible. My curent 289 original is terrible. Im considering the 350 swap. What transmission , how hard is this to do? Did you change the front end shocks etc?

Comment

Originally posted by cosmoapt View Post
                I have a 1962 lark convertible. My curent 289 original is terrible. Im considering the 350 swap. What transmission , how hard is this to do? Did you change the front end shocks etc?
                Long story short: it's a very easy swap but you have to weigh the cost of the parts as well as the donor engine and tranny vs. rebuilding what you already have.

Engine mount pedestals for a 1965-66 Studebaker car with the 283 V8, either the same years tranny crossmember (but you will need to weld up a plate to accept the tranny mount) or you can make one up as well as a matching throttle linkage. Note the pedestal mtg holes are already from the factory in the engine crossmember as well as the firewall, you will need to drill one largish hole for the bellcrank but it will go exactly where it needs to.

Transmission: the easiest swap is a Chevy TH350 and a driveshaft from a 1969-77 2 door Chevelle or similar GM car with a TH350 tranny is probably 100% plug 'n' play if using your original Dana rear end.

Exhaust: generic SBC 2" outlet Rams Horns with a pair of 1966-74 Avanti headpipes going into a stock style dual exhaust system.

The rest of the swap involves radiator hoses which are available; I don't have the P/N's handy but I believe a 1965 Pontiac GTO lower hose and a 1980's Malibu 305 upper hose with both trimmed to fit will work using your 1964 Lark radiator.

You do not need to change the front springs; especially if they're already sagged down from age since the SBC weights about 100-150 lbs less than the Stude Eight.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmoapt View Post
                  Can you describe "Terrible"? Why?... How?
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                    That's what I used in my 54 with a 327.
                    That is one GORGEOUS car. And it runs GREAT!
                    1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
                    1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
                    Robert Rausch

Comment

Working...
                    X