Thick vs. thin head gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Thick vs. thin head gaskets

I'd like to know if I would get better or worse gas mileage with thin head gaskets vs. the stock thicker ones on a '63 Cruiser, V8, auto, 3:31 rear end, 1403 Edelbrock 4 barrel.

If thin is the answer, would I need premium fuel?

Just looking ahead to $5.00 per gallon gas ....

Thanks,
    Larry

The thin gaskets should give you better gas mileage and a bit more power as the compression is raised about 1/2 point. You shouldn't need premium gas because the compression ratio is still around 8to1. Your engine was originally equipped with the thin gaskets from the factory. Someone over the years had the heads off your engine and replaced the gaskets with the thick ones that are found in most gasket sets. I use the thin gaskets in my engines because I want the little bit of extra power and increased fuel mileage. If you decide to use the thin head gaskets be sure that the heads and block are straight and clean. Bud

Comment

As an added note, I meant the compression should be around 8.5 to 1 depending on which heads you have with thin gaskets, not 8 to 1. Bud

Comment

Plus with the thick gaskets, unless you do some combustion chamber reworking, there is gas that doesn't get properly burned, between the head and block.
        Therefore, this gas does nothing for power or milage.

So..as has been said, yes you "should" get a tiny bit better milage and power for both reasons.

Mike

Comment

Larry, I sent you a pm.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

To: SuperHawk,------ I think the superior sealing ability of the thick (composite) head gasket is substantially more important than a very slight, if any, increase in gas mileage---Just my opinion.

Comment

-60 ~

How is the thicker gasket a "the superior sealability"...?
              GM used a single piece of embossed .016" (I believe) thick for countless years almost without problems for all that time. At least no more sealing problems than any other gasket.
              As for shade tree mechanic work...I also have never had a sealing problem with a sheet steel gasket.

Just asken...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by SuperHawk View Post
                I'd like to know if I would get better or worse gas mileage with thin head gaskets vs. the stock thicker ones on a '63 Cruiser, V8, auto, 3:31 rear end, 1403 Edelbrock 4 barrel.

If thin is the answer, would I need premium fuel?
                The stock head gaskets on a 1963 Cruiser (for the domestic market at least) were the thin gaskets not the thick ones.

Joe
                sigpic

1962 Daytona
                1964 Cruiser
                And a few others

Comment

To: Mike Van Veghten,---------- If everything is A#1, than use either. But remember Mike, these engines are 45+ years old and have certainly 'been around the block a few times'-----Think about it.

Comment

Super H,
                    Not sure if you have a pair of thin gaskets yet, but if you need some I happen to know StudeRich has some at his place he may be willing to part with at a fair price. At least he did when I was building my motor that he had offered to me.

And yes, the '63 V8 had thin steel head gaskets originally. I have the same motor and my old gaskets are sitting right here on my garage floor. Thin for sure.
                    Last edited by kmac530; 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM. Reason: add

Comment

To: Mike Van Veghten,---------- If everything is A#1, than use either. But remember Mike, these engines are 45+ years old and have certainly 'been around the block a few times'-----Think about it.
                      Don't understand...
                      What does "been around the block" have to do with anything ? Spaces that trap fuel and don't let it burn...are still spaces that trap fuel and don't let it burn..!

Being "A#1" (?) has nothing to do with spaces that shouldn't be there either...

Mike

Comment

I can see where the thick gaskets may be of some benefit on an R1 engine due to the higher compression ratio. Dropping the compression about 1/2 point may reduce the the chance for detonation on today's gasoline. Personally, I like the shim gaskets, to squeeze a bit more mileage and power out of a non R engine. Bud

Comment

Working...
                        X