Can I reuse my camshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Can I reuse my camshaft

Hi, I have a old R-1 engine that I want to rebuild to install into a Hawk. Can I use the old cam shaft if it looks ok?

Originally posted by TMAN0950 View Post
    Hi... Can I use the old cam shaft if it looks ok?
    Well...you have my permission. (and, that carries all the weight and authority I deserve)
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yes. Just use an egg carton to organize the lifters so they go back in the same holes on the same lobes.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks, it has been a long time sence I rebuilt a Studebaker engine, I reused a cam in a 428 Ford once and that didn't work out well.

Comment

If it does not look quite up to snuff, you can send it to almost any cam company and have them put a light resurface on it. I had my stock cam reground to a much more aggresive performance grind at Isky and it was only $95.00. Likely would be less for a resurface. Also resurface the tappets if you resurface the cam, it will be almost like new.

Comment

Thanks, that sounds good, I will check into that.

Comment

it doesn't sound like you've received your fullest advise...namely: you need to have your cam measured/miked out/checked by a good shop to see if it is worn out of spec......I once had cam bearings disintergrate and it left one of the cam journals slightly worn.....gl

Comment

it doesn't sound like you've received your fullest advise..
                It's never possible to ascertain the level of technical acuity of someone asking for advice. However, a camshaft is one engine part where wear is pretty obvious. Most times, if it it looks good, it is good. Once cleaned and dry, if there is wear on the lobes or bearing journals, the scoring and flattening is usually there to see. Having said that, a second pair of experienced eyes is never a waste of time.

namely: you need to have your cam measured/miked out/checked by a good shop to see if it is worn out of spec
                Finding that good shop which will have the Studebaker R1 cam specifications readily to hand isn't the easiest thing these days.

FWIW, I know of more than one regrind shop which will take in an R1 cam, but a true R1 regrind is not what will be returned. If they don't have the correct pattern, "closest one we've got" is what they do. A bit OT, but an explanation of how I know this. When I first started doing Packard V8s, the reground cam I got back wasn't correct. When I asked the shop, "Well, the Ford 289" cam is pretty close. You're the first one who ever noticed the difference."

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack, do you know some place that could do a good job on the cam and lifters? I have not had a R-1 engine before and I would like it to run well, I am putting it into a 62 Hawk with a 4 speed and a 373 TT rear. Thanks Terry

Comment

Can I use the old cam shaft if it looks ok?
                    First, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Look it over yourself and get a second opinion. The soft springs Stude used aren't hard on cams or lifters.

If your cam needs regrinding and you want to stay stock, ask Iskenderian to give you their E4 regrind. That's what Studebaker copied for the R1 cam. With the 3.73 and 4-speed, your GT would be a candidate for the Iskenderian ST5 regrind. It's just one step hotter than your R1.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

...I suggest asking around your local area and/or Stude club for that....If you have to send it out (doubt that)....the west coast has plenty of places and guys here can help...

Comment

Working...
                      X