A.C. clutch removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: A.C. clutch removal

Hi all! I've got a york compressor that seems to work, but when the clutch is not engaged it sounds a little noisy to me. I'd like to replace the bearing before I install it on the car. After looking at the shop manual, it doesn't say how the clutch comes off.
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
    Brian

1963 Lark 4 door 259 3 speed w/OD.

Originally posted by brian6373 View Post
    Hi all! I've got a york compressor that seems to work, but when the clutch is not engaged it sounds a little noisy to me. I'd like to replace the bearing before I install it on the car. After looking at the shop manual, it doesn't say how the clutch comes off.
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
    Brian

1963 Lark 4 door 259 3 speed w/OD.
    I took the clutch off a York a/c compressor last week. I placed two 1/4 bolts through two of the three holes in the front clutch, with about 1/2" of the bolt sticking out. Then stopped the rotation using a large screw driver levered between them, while I undid the centre bolt with a socket. You'll then have to use a 5/8" UNC bolt to screw in and ease the clutch assembley off the tapered shaft. (mine came off quite easily). To dismantle the clutch assembley you'll need three 1/4" bolts about 2" long. Remove the clutch plate boss cir clip, put a rag over it, mine sprung off the cir clip pliers and it took me 30 minutes to find it. Insert the three bolts heads up into the clutch housing through the three holes you used to stop the rotation. Rest the bolt tails on a solid surface and use a soft hammer, or brass drift to punch the driver plate out of the clutch assembley, this will give you access to the bearing.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Thanks Matt, I was following your thread and figured you would know how. I'll give it a try.

Brian

Comment

Apply a little anti-sieze to the compressor shaft on reassembly, so it comes apart easily next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
          Apply a little anti-sieze to the compressor shaft on reassembly, so it comes apart easily next time.
          Spot on Chuck. I'm a great believer in 'Copper Coat', and the idea I might be the poor bugger that has to pull it apart next time. ;-)
          Matt
          Brisbane
          Australia
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks Matt and Chuck for the info and advice. It looks like I won't have time 'till next weekend to do this. Does anyone have a beering # so when I take it apart I can reassemble it before I forget how it came apart?
            Brian

Comment

Clutch bearing # is 5001KFF. Should be at NAPA etc. Even on E-bay.

Comment

Thank you. I found one on e-bay at a very good price. The only downer is it probely won't be here till next Monday.

Brian

Comment

Hey Chuck, I got the new bearing and took the clutch apart. The bearing is quite a bit different from the one I pulled out. The # on the old bearing is NEW DEPARTURE 995 L06. I did some reserch and found a forum that had some good instructions on York comp. I.D. I have a 209. This is smaller than the 210, even though they look the same in pictures. I also think it is a 1959 or 1960 model. So far I'm not having much luck finding a new bearing. I'm thinking that later units had the larger bearing. If there's anyone here that knows more about this, it'd be great to hear from you.

Thanks all, Brian

Comment

Originally posted by brian6373 View Post
                    Hey Chuck, I got the new bearing and took the clutch apart. The bearing is quite a bit different from the one I pulled out. The # on the old bearing is NEW DEPARTURE 995 L06. I did some reserch and found a forum that had some good instructions on York comp. I.D. I have a 209. This is smaller than the 210, even though they look the same in pictures. I also think it is a 1959 or 1960 model. So far I'm not having much luck finding a new bearing. I'm thinking that later units had the larger bearing. If there's anyone here that knows more about this, it'd be great to hear from you.

Thanks all, Brian
                    Hey Brian,

Surely if you went to a bearing shop they would have one, they just wouldn't make them for one type of a/c compressor. I'd check here, but the shipping would kill it ;-)
                    Matt
                    Brisbane
                    Australia
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi Matt, don't be to sure about the shipping cost. First off, I went on-line to try for an interchange #. No dice. Next I tried three different bearing suppliers. I finally got an answer from one. He said that there is no interchange from the New Departure #. He did find NOS from an outfit that specializes in obsolete parts. He said there were two at a cost of $189.61 each!!!! Mabey I should try to find a newer compressor that has the common sized bearing. The only reason I wanted to use the one was it is a Studebaker York compressor with the tag and everything.

Thank you all for the info. Brian
                      Last edited by brian6373; 02-15-2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X