Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seatbelts for 57 Golden Hawk: anchor locations while I have body off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Seatbelts for 57 Golden Hawk: anchor locations while I have body off?

Hi, I'm in the middle of replacing my rusted front floor pans, and with my arms stuck as far inside the torque box as I could reach, to paint rust-converter paint, it occurred to me I might need to get inside there to install seat belt anchors. Or if not, where DO they go for a 57 K-body Hawk??? I installed them in my 1930 Model-A Ford, but a lot more 'open space" around the seats and heavy gauge steel everywhere to secure them too. The Hawk is a little more problematic, it seems to me.
    I've searched the Forum and Bob Johnstone's great site, but I only see articles about 3-point harness additions and primarily regarding 60's cars, not K-bodies.
    I've read through all the comments on why people do or don't install belts, or the original type, and my decision is to install a set of original-looking lap belts to match the gold vinyl of my Golden Hawk, if I can.

Two questions then:
    1) are the lap-belts SI sells (w/ Studebaker emblem on them), in 62" or 72" length, made ONLY for the original door mount? I don't want to mount to the door. I'm restoring as close to factory as possible but not necessarily for "show points", and I'm installing belts for safety, not for "correct" appearance by being on the door..... If the SI belts ARE only for the door-mount, where do I get belts for body-floor mount? I've seen references to "Julianos"(sp?) hot rod supplies, but would like that Studebaker belt BUCKLE if possible. I know, want my cake and eat it too. :-)

2) more importantly, since my body is an open shell right now (and will soon be off the frame entirely), where should lap belt anchors be installed? I'm thinking I should drill the holes NOW, while I can see where the fuel and brake lines run, without a drive shaft or tranny in the way, etc..., and at least on the passenger side (I already closed up the drivers side last month), while the torque box is opened up.
    Advice or tips or photos??
    THANKS!
    Barry

Barry, if I am understanding your questions correctly ...you would be looking for the Seat Belts S/I or others may offer, because the original type Studebaker installed on '57 Golden Hawks (and sold as Accessories) way back when did have the outer belt attached to the front doors. If you have S/I's new catalog take a good look & read how to measure, order & get a good idea of how their belts install all on page 56.

Should you be lucky enough to find a set of '57 Golden Hawk original design belts (w/door mount) and decide you want to install those, I do have all the factory holes sizes, locating dimensions, etc. to install them. Just let me know.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

To: bsrosell--- Yes, the SI belts floor mount, and they work very well! If Your going to floor mount the outside belt, now would be the time to locate the mount because as You already know it will
      not be reachable with the underfloor boxes back in place (without drilling access holes). You've probably already seen it , but if not, take a look at J. D. Engler's thread under General discussion. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys.
        "Welcome", thanks, but I want to mount the outer belts to the floor, not the door, so can't use your info. Bummer! Would be nice.... seems there is good info on THAT style installation.
        SN-60: I did read Engler's thread, and spent the last hour reading everyother "seatbelt" thread I could find.
        I did not find a single photograph showing how anyone has installed lap belts in a K-series Hawk (mine is 57), or where they should go. Ditto for the back seat locations.
        Regarding the torque boxes, since I already welded up my new floor on the driver's side, and don't want "stop" on the passenger side now while figuring out seat bolt locations, I guess I'll cut a hole big enough to get the big reinforcing washer/plates in the torque box, and then simply weld a patch back over it, all before I undercoat and paint obviously.....
        So if I order the SI belts, they come with instructions showing WHERE to locate the holes in the floor? Is that correct?
        I am 6'6" tall, so my seat will ALWAYS be all the way back (unless my wife takes to driving old cars, one can always hope! She's never driven my Model-A Ford, but that doesn't have a supercharger either :-). My only other 'solution" was to put the naked seat frame back in the naked car body, and try to guess from that where to put them, assuming I'd thread the belts up THROUGH the seat, instead of mounting it right up against the "coupe pillar" (I know, K-body doesn't have one, but that area by the door opening). If I installed the belt supports there, seems it would be an awful task for someone to get into the back seat, even though that won't be a frequent occurrence. (but I DO have five kids, hopefully a couple of them like to take rides with dear old dad when I get his done!)
        DOES ANYONE HAVE PHOTOS SHOWING WHERE THE LAP BELT SUPPORTS ARE BOLTED IN THE FLOOR ( all four locations, front and back)? Or better yet, a template??
        Thanks!!!
        I think I'll go ahead and order the SI belts now, even though I won't need the belts for YEARS :-( but can get the instructions and the mounting hardware in place while the body is off......

Comment

Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
          So if I order the SI belts, they come with instructions showing WHERE to locate the holes in the floor? Is that correct?
          They do not. There is only one hard fast rule about the Location: they mount BEHIND the rear seat frame with the seat in the rear-most seat position expected, NEVER under the Seat.

The exact location varies with each year range of floor layouts in each model, these are generic "Old Car Lap Belts", and will be easy to figure out the best location.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X