Valves, OHV 6 cyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valves, OHV 6 cyl

It's been known for some time that the Stude V8 benefits from larger than stock intake valves. Would the OHV 6 cyl also benefit from larger intake valves, and if so, are there any out there? Along those same lines, is there a grind for the cam that helps?

I know Cathcart and others have done a lot with the Champ six flathead. And over the years people have tossed their OHV 6 cylinder engines in the trash heap because of cracking cylinder heads. But I believe that problem can be solved with hardened valve seats. Given the newfound concerns regarding mileage I think perhaps the OHV 6 cyl engine deserves a second look.

But I concede that nothing looks cooler than a flathead.

Dear Casey:

I also build Stude 6's, OHV's and flatheads. I am tryin to get the person at SDC to add a search engine tool to the site that will enable us to search by subject, instead of dates. I plan on doing a lot of entries in a "Stude 6" catagory.

Give me a call sometime.
    888 815 3727

Ben

bekglm1@aol.com
    SIAR/ Special Interest Autos and Restorations
    59 Canadian Lark 2 door 63 full flow 6 cyl 3 OD
    59 Silver Hawk 289 4 bbl 3 OD
    62 Lark Wagon 335 hp 4 bolt small block GM/built THM 350/Versilles RE w/discs
    62 Lark Cruiser 259 auto, TT
    62 Daytona 289 4 bbl PS Auto, TT
    55 President 289 4B PS PB
    54 Commander
    56 Flight Hawk
    53 Champion
    53 Champ R6 Bonneville Race Car "MAYA" Raymond's Revenge Racing Team (3RT Racing)

Comment

For normal driving and no other changes...no, you won't see much advantage.

Now stick in a bigger cam, do some head porting work, larger carbuetor, headers, more rear gear, etc., etc. Then yes...larger valves (espically intake) will help.

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X