Re-Torqueing V8 Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Re-Torqueing V8 Heads

When re torquing V8 heads, does it matter at all whether the engine is hot or cold?

Thanks,
    Larry

Always cold.

Mike

Comment

Yes. ALWAYS cold. I also always adjust the valves cold too.

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I know you torque the heads cold but I always thought you were suppose to adjust the valves on a V8 hot and with the car running. I have one of those cut away valve covers that I got with a bunch of tools from a Studebaker dealership that I use. It keeps most of the oil from running on the floor. It sure would be a lot easier to adjust them cold.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
          I know you torque the heads cold but I always thought you were suppose to adjust the valves on a V8 hot and with the car running. I have one of those cut away valve covers that I got with a bunch of tools from a Studebaker dealership that I use. It keeps most of the oil from running on the floor. It sure would be a lot easier to adjust them cold.
          Studebaker recommended adjusting the valves hot, but most people just adjust them cold. I set mine at .026" cold (V-8) and it works fine for me.

Joe
          sigpic

1962 Daytona
          1964 Cruiser
          And a few others

Comment

I tried to do it hot ... once. Never again. I think you may get a little less "tick" when done hot.

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
            X