Champion overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Champion overhaul

Overhauling a Champion engine I came across a article frm Hemmings motor news ,May 2009.
    The article states the 169.6 cu in straight six engine could have low oil pressure problems.
    After the rod and main bearings were replaced the engine could still have low oil pressure problems .
    This would be cause by worn lifters and lifter bores .
    The remedy was to partially block the oil flow to the lifters.A restrictor was installed in the rearmost oil galley to accomplish this.
    I can see how this would happen ,
    I was looking for the clearance spec for the lifter to bore.??
    Can oversized lifter be purchased???

Thank you

Studebaker used to sell oversize lifters. Possibly some of our vendors have some. I don't have the clearance spec on hand right now.

If I had a Champion six torn down for rebuild, and could not get lifters to fit with the proper clearance, I would drill and tap each short oil passage from the lifter bore to the oil gallery, and then install a short Allen-head setscrew in each passage, drilled with an orifice for the oil. In effect, an oil restrictor for each lifter. The existing passage is about 1/8", IIRC. I'd put maybe an .050" hole in each screw. That way, you maintain full oil pressure on the oil gallery, which will keep the bearings happy. I'd use red Loctite on the screws, to ensure they stayed put, too.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Is this what you're looking for:

1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
      See rescue progress here on this blog:
      http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
      X