Reuse head bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Reuse head bolts?

I pulled the head off of my 62 lark straight six and will be taking it to the machine shop to do some work.... I already ordered the gaskets I needed but can't seem to find new head bolts!?!!! I know its recommended to not reuse head bolts but some you can, aka "ARP". Can I reuse these bolts? or am I just searching under the wrong name....I search for "head" or "cylinder head" bolts and nothing comes up at studebaker int. and studebakerparts.com.

Thanks
    Josh

Check your parts book for the correct part number. call SI with the part number for price and availability.

Comment

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can reuse the old head bolts. I think "torque to yield" bolts came along later.
      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Correct...

Up to about 1985 (maybe a little later) or so, it's fine to reuse original (OEM) cylinder head and main cap fasteners.
        Matter of fact, I wouldn't hesitate to reuse them up to 5 times without worry.
        Back "in the day", this is one of the items they kinda did an over-kill on. They all did...Chevrolet, Chrysler, Ford, Studebaker, etc...

I would not though...reuse rod bolts more than twice (total) for normal street driven engine. For any type hot rod engine, once for most any stock (OEM) rod cap fastener.
        ARP type fasteners should be good for a few uses though. Verify that with them. It would all depend on rod/piston weight vs. RPM.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
          Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can reuse the old head bolts. I think "torque to yield" bolts came along later.
          I build engines for a living (mostly diesel) and that's right if the head bolts on the Stude look fine no reason not to re-use them.
          sigpic

1962 Daytona
          1964 Cruiser
          And a few others

Comment

Working...
          X