crank flange/flex plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: crank flange/flex plate

Got the engine back from rebuilder, actually it went to an 80 year old rebuilder, then machine shop, then rebuilder's health went bad, 3 years later his son finished it for me, but he's never worked on a Stude.

Anyway, the flex plate was gone, no one ever saw it, so I got a new one. I found 6 of these bolts in a bag of parts I got back from them, from reading previous posts looks like these are the bolts that attach the cs flange to the flex plate. The problem now is, I can't get them installed thru the back of the flange- not enough clearance between the flange and the engine.

What is going to be the simplest fix? the rebuilder is clear on the other side of the metro area- I hate to bring it back there then have to go back to pick it up. Do I want to mess with opening up the bottom end to get these bolts thru the flange, or how about putting regular cap screws on the trans side of the flex plate and lock nuts or lock washers and nuts on the engine side? I read a post where it's not a good idea to tap the flange, not enough thickness for the threads to hold on to
    Attached Files
    Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO

the auto focus isn't working on my camera- I painted the flat white to show up
    Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO

Comment

Crankshaft Bolts

Yes they probably are the 6 crankshaft flange bolts that anyone who knows Studes. knows that they go in before Rear Main Cap and Oil Pan installation. It is too bad that your "technition" was not reading the Studebaker Shop Manual.

I am glad that you received our Flex Plate, Reinforcement Ring and Oil Pressure Relief Valve replacement Kit OK.

I think I would order a Pan Gasket Set, and pull the Pan and Rear Main Bearing Cap and do it right myself, forget them.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 11-27-2011, 03:58 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
      X