K member questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: K member questions

is there a K member out there that fits the 60 lark? I am curious because it would help with a lot of things for 1 and it prob would have a better suspension under the front too boot

"K-member" sounds like a MoPar term, as I recall from people putting big blocks into Darts.
    If you mean a replacement front clip, there have been lots of those done using various factory pieces (like Camaro) to get the power steering, suspension, and motor mounts, but there are also a few aftermarket companies doing the custom frame rails with the usual Mustang II suspension pieces, and the ability to keep your radiator and bumper mounts in place. A search for "front clip" or "fatman" may bring up some hits and hints.
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

The Lark, as are all Studebakers...are narrower thAn most American cars.
      Have I seen unmodified "clips" installed into Studes...ya...but the wheels/tires are out of place an or the wheels have a lot of offset to fit inside the fenders.
      I haven't see any front crossmembers that will fit inbetween the stock Stude frame rails.

And..you must remember that the better handling cars will have longer control arms (like the Corvettes)..which make it more of a problem.

Just do some measuring on your car..(!), take a trip to your local wreaking yard...and do your own measuring.
      Not that difficult..and can be an intertaning afternoon.

Mike

Comment

1985 Chrysler 5th Ave. On a 1956 Commander Wagon
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
          Now that looks interesting.
          I want to know more??????
          Specs and more pictures please.
          E-mail me direct or post.
          Thanks
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
            Are you sure this is a "1985" 5th Ave front end??
            Were they not front wheel drive???
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Yes I am sure. I bought the car which had been rolled. The car only had 72k miles

Comment

I'm thinking that the FWD 5th Ave's started in 1988 or 1989

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                  I'm thinking that the FWD 5th Ave's started in 1988 or 1989. Jim
                  Almost, Jim. The 1989 model year was the last RWD Chrysler Fifth Avenue based on the 1976 Volare/Aspen "M" body....and they were all built in the Kenosha WI AMC plant.

In 1990, the Fifth Avenue was "all-new" with Front Wheel Drive. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This is good news.
                    Was it the same front end as the Volarie or is it narrower?
                    What is the track width?
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Most of the late 80s Mopar front track widths I looked up were 60 inches.

Richard Burks
                      53s
                      57 Transtar
                      64 Daytona 4 door (Wifes car Lucy)
                      My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                      sigpic
                      Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                      in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

JDP had and sold a C/K that had the Volare K-member, bought at Reedsville a few years back. Seemed to be a good job. It was also MoPar powered IIRC. Here's the thread, although the pix no longer work:

Might ask him for info and a repost of the pix. I'd like to see it again!
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                          This is good news.
                          Was it the same front end as the Volarie or is it narrower?
                          What is the track width?
                          Brian
                          All F-M-J (transverse Torsion bar) Mopar K members are the same except for 6 cyl or V8 motor mount pedestals. In all fairness; the 1988-89 K's are the strongest but; unless you are going to use your car as a police vehicle, any K should be OK.
                          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I can have a whole front of a mustang 92 if I want it will it fit? width wise?
                            Last edited by mookandairin; 12-02-2011, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Along this line....
                              I have a 66 2 dr and the deeper I go into it the worse it gets!
                              I have replaced the floor in the car and the door post and while I was so deep into it, I wound up pulling the body off the frame, now I find the bottom plate rotted of in some places and the rear frame rails tweaked and torn, and while I have entertained installing a Mustang II front end ( I have heard all the + & -'s) this would not solve my problem as the rear frame is bent and rotted.
                              SO..... my question is, what was done to the Avanti to be able to use the GM frame under it..... would it be feasible to put that frame under a regular Lark?
                              Does anybody have pictures of a GM frame that was used under the Avanti?
                              I just want to get this on the road.....it's been close to nine years working on this!

Thanks,
                              Ken
                              Kenneth Smolecki

Comment

Working...
                              X