Jones mufflers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Jones mufflers?

Hi. Anybody used these? Saw some praise on another forum. Here's what was said:

Yes, the Jone's Muffler definately sounds deeper & louder that a stock OEM would be. In fact after the install of the new Jone's muffler my 1st thoughts was when 1st started was "CRAP, This thing don't sound no different than the Dynomax & I wasted my money". After cracking the throttle a couple times it actually sounds deeper than the dynomax just not quite as loud. Sounds more like a healthier motor than an anemic 6 banger with a glasspack. Once on the road I expected that dreaded drone at above 2K but there was none. Even with the radio off. Hammer & it does sound nice and again with no drone. I find it hard to believe this Jone's muffler doesn't get any more recogonition than it does. I never heard of it till I used Summits sizing chart to match my Dynomax muffler. It is a chambered muffler, but looking in the inlet across the chambers you can still catch view of the outlet. There's just chambers in there with no packing. It looks like someone did some real engineering on this one.
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Thanks for the heads up. I am starting to contemplate which exhaust to run on my truck lately and was wondering what would accent the cool Studebaker sound, but not ruin comfort and driveability.

Comment

I have a set of Jones mufflers on my 41 Champion with R-2 engine and man they are loud at certain RPM's or a hard pull. They drone too at a certain RPM. I don't mind it since hot rods are supposed to be loud and obnoxious!
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Looking at Summits site, there are 395 Jones mufflers on there site alone. Maybe you guys have different models of mufflers that sound different.

Are both of yours an oval actual muffler or are either one of yours a glasspack style?

Comment

Get Don Simmonds to get you a SS system and mufflers..the best.
          Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
          Looking at Summits site, there are 395 Jones mufflers on there site alone. Maybe you guys have different models of mufflers that sound different.

Are both of yours an oval actual muffler or are either one of yours a glasspack style?

Comment

Mine are polished stainless oval type. I had my system custom built at Meineke.

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post

Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

there are bunches of Jones mufflers available, yes. The particular one that is praised in the first post is: Jones Exhaust Q524A Full Bore Quiet Tone Exhaust Muffler. 2.25" in and out, offset inlet/outlet. $85 each at Summit.
              sigpic
              JohnP, driving & reviving
              60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Working...
              X