Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil Leak

Hi Folks. I am new to this Forum.
    I just got a 1957 Silverhawk with a 289 Full Flow Oil System. It is a 15 Year old Body Off Restoration. It is a Beautiful Car.
    I purchased this from a very close friend who has a very serious illness. With that said, here is my problem.
    This has always had a very small oil leak, It has gotten a lot worse.
    I have a Lift in my garage so I have checked this oil leak out, I believe it is the Pan Gasket and not the Front or Rear Seals so I decided to tightened the pan bolts, big mistake! It seemed to slow the leak at first, but I think it is now leaking as bad as before.
    I pulled the Pan off and I am ready to install the new Gasket. I have never done this before, Should I use a gasket sealer? How tight should I make the bolts. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
    I will be looking forward to any input from my Studebaker brothers "or Sisters"
    Thanks,
    Toolhead AKA Butch

Hi Butch, and welcome to the forum. Before you put the pan back on the engine turn it over on a flat surface and make sure the flange is not bent
    or distorted, over tightening the pan bolts, as you mentioned, can create leaks instead of stopping them.

Comment

Here are the answers to your questions, both asked and un-asked:

StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you for your input.

Thank you for your input. I will do as you have said.
        Originally posted by jallen View Post
        Hi Butch, and welcome to the forum. Before you put the pan back on the engine turn it over on a flat surface and make sure the flange is not bent
        or distorted, over tightening the pan bolts, as you mentioned, can create leaks instead of stopping them.

Comment

Hi Rich,
          Great link! Much appreciated. It looks like I should also consider the front and rear seals also along with a partial timing gear gasket. I will keep you posted.
          Butch

Comment

All of the above.
            The best sealer to use on a pan gasket or tranny gasket or elsewhere if a petroleum product is involved (except gasoline for which you use teflon tape or paste) is NOT Blue silicone which will not hold up, but rather "Permatex Ultra Black" gasket sealer. As stated in the link use contact cement to hold the end curved strips in place before you try to set the pan. Clean the block surfaces with lacquer thinner, not paint thinner, before applying the contact cement. Chase all the male and female threads, you will find some of each that are buggered up. Clean the male and female threads with lacquer thinner. Apply blue loctite to the pan bolts as you install them, use fresh lock washers and as stated several times just snug them up, do not over tighten or it will warp and deform everything
            1947 M5 under restoration
            a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Thank you tbird

Comment

Working...
              X