push-rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: push-rods

I have been asking question on this post about installing a 289 crank and pistons into a 259 block to make it a 289. I am understanding that all I need is a 289 crank and pistons and install them into my running 259 block. Is this correct so far.
    I was looking at my cores and thinking studebaker tonight and I am wondering if the push rods used in the 259 are different than the push rods used in a 289? If piston comes up further in cylinder will it hit valves with 259 push rods? 1 engine is missing the push rods ?? made me think studebaker??? I want to use the core engine crank shaft too, provided no rust on it.
    Provided rod and main bearings are same lets say stock. in 259 and 289 are rod and mains the same from both engines? I want to us pistons ( will keep mated to rods they are on) from the core engines I have, can get 8 good ones from 2 core engines, rering and use them.
    I have a cam shaft from the core 289 that has no rust on it can I get it reground to have more duration and use it in the 259 I will rebuild?
    Will using the engine number on block tell me year it was manafactured (how) would like to change to breakerless points want to get correct set 1st time.
    The water pumps look different too at least how they connect to the block what should I use 259 or 289 off the core engine. All blocks\cores I have are not full flow.
    Last edited by K-Hawk; 11-10-2011, 11:46 PM. Reason: I just keeping think ofmore questions.

I think you have to understand one thing here, when you were told that you only need the 289 Crank and Pistons to make a 289 out of a 259, that is ALL you need!

Those are the ONLY differences between the two!

That means, Rods, Heads, Rockers, Valves, Push Rods, Dist, Carb. -EVERYTHING.

Now if you want to start swapping around heads, push rods, rocker arm assemblies from different YEARS, NOW you have a problem. The push rods, rocker arms and rocker arm stands changed several times from '51 to '64.

A major change happened in 1961, the oil holes in the rocker shafts were downsized to reduce the oil buildup in the heads, this increased oil pressure also. That means you have to use those parts as A SET, no mixing them. And again 259, 289 all the same.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-11-2011, 12:01 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This link will give you an idea of what serial number was used for which years.

Comment

I think he is talking about a "four corner" engine - that is when you gather up parts from the four corners of the garage!

Comment

Originally posted by K-Hawk View Post
          I have been asking question on this post about installing a 289 crank and pistons into a 259 block to make it a 289. I am understanding that all I need is a 289 crank and pistons and install them into my running 259 block. Is this correct so far.
          I was looking at my cores and thinking studebaker tonight and I am wondering if the push rods used in the 259 are different than the push rods used in a 289? If piston comes up further in cylinder will it hit valves with 259 push rods? .
          When you add stroke the piston will go down further in the cylinder. If it went up further it would hit the head before it hit the valves.

Comment

???????
            You two guys need to come over to my shop for an afternoon... Free lessons. You supply the beer.

Originally posted by yoshimitsuspeed View Post
            When you add stroke the piston will go down further in the cylinder.
            If it went up further it would hit the head before it hit the valves.
            If piston comes up further in cylinder will it hit valves with 259 push rods? .
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yoshi & K-Hawk.....Understanding this is based on the piston being different. The location of the connecting rod pin within the piston is in a lower location on the 259 than found in the higher location on the 289 to allow for the lengthened stroke. Thats it.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I suppose I am trying to build a 4 corner engine-It's harder than than it looks. thanks for the input any thoughts on the cam shaft. The engines also had a 4 barrel intake which I will use-once I figure out how to remove the rust from the inside of it. i will grind and sand blast where I can what about where I can't.

Comment

Working...
                X