Putting a CHevy 350 and TH350 into my 1962 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Putting a CHevy 350 and TH350 into my 1962 Lark

OK: I just received my (used) throttle linkage and front pedestals for a 1965-66 Stude 283 from one of our vendors. rear crossmember I found locally.

Now for the questions: what radiator can I use? Someone here stated a Jeep CJ Chevy conversion unit is a 100% bolt-in.

Throttle linkage is the firewall mount style but, what's weird is my 1962 Lark firewall already has the appropriate mounting holes/flat surface from the factory, all I had to do was drill a hole for the bellcrank to pass through. It lined up with my pedal exactly and bolted right in.

Exhaust manifolds are generic Rams Horns; I already located a set locally.

Any thoughts on a AT tranny shifter for a TH350? I would like to stay with a column shift but, my present steering column is a 3 spd style and I know the AT Studes ad the 'suicide' Reverse selector versus the standard PRNDL pattern.

Final major question: what do you recommend for a numeric low rear end? I presently have a Dana 27 (tapered axle style, yuck) and would like to go with something different with slide off drums. Needless to say: I'm staying with the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern wheels.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

As for the radiator - I have put 2 aluminum ones in my Champ pickups that fit perfect that are for the CJ7 Jeep with a Chevy engine. $185 plus $24 shipping. Also have put one in a 1960 Lark fit great. I buy them on Ebay.
    It is not to hard to find a Ford or Chrysler rear end with the right dimensions and a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.
    1958 Transtar 3E6-122
    1958 Transtar 3E13-31
    1959 Transtar 4E7-122
    1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
    1960 Transtar 5E28-171
    1960 Lark Gasser
    1963 Daytona

Comment

as far as a rear end gear to look for, I would go with the tried and true 3.73 it gives you the torque for the street/strip and it won't kill you on the street great over all hot street gear

Comment

Originally posted by MCCAB1 View Post
        As for the radiator - I have put 2 aluminum ones in my Champ pickups that fit perfect that are for the CJ7 Jeep with a Chevy engine. $185 plus $24 shipping. Also have put one in a 1960 Lark fit great. I buy them on Ebay.
        It is not to hard to find a Ford or Chrysler rear end with the right dimensions and a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.
        Radiator: are the outlets located so I can use the 1969+ Chevy waterpump with its opening facing towards the right (passenger side) and what are recommendations on hoses or do I have to use generic ones with the spiral design? Engine is a rebuilt low mileage one out of a 1974 Chevelle; the owner of it is going with a ZZ4 or similar.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by mookandairin View Post
          as far as a rear end gear to look for, I would go with the tried and true 3.73 it gives you the torque for the street/strip and it won't kill you on the street great over all hot street gear
          Def no 3:73 ratio; I'm leaning towards a 2:73 or similar because I drive 75 MPH here on the Arizona freeways. Tranny will be a TH350.

Comment

a 2.73 will give you a better cruise rpm for that speed.a 700R-4 would give you the best of both worlds tho.low 1st gear for fun and od for economy

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
              Radiator: are the outlets located so I can use the 1969+ Chevy waterpump with its opening facing towards the right (passenger side) and what are recommendations on hoses or do I have to use generic ones with the spiral design? Engine is a rebuilt low mileage one out of a 1974 Chevelle; the owner of it is going with a ZZ4 or similar.
              Yes. This is a Chevy conversion radiator. I was able to use radiator hoses that I had on hand. But the spiral generic ones come in so many sizes and lengths that they have worked for me on many occasions. I bought one of these radiators from suncoastdeals yesterday on Ebay and the total was $209.98 shipped. They come with a radiator cap and are really well made!
              1958 Transtar 3E6-122
              1958 Transtar 3E13-31
              1959 Transtar 4E7-122
              1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
              1960 Transtar 5E28-171
              1960 Lark Gasser
              1963 Daytona

Comment

Engine is in. I still have to install the TH350, exhaust, radiator, yada, yada, yada.

This was at about 3 PM today

350 Chevy in place

Right side

Left side

The latter three images were taken at about 4 PM.

Comment

Bear,
                  I believe you can re-use the Stude radiator with the SBC, except if it is a two core, it may be marginal in Arizona.
                  Joe

Comment

Working...
                  X