Oil usage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil usage?

Looks like I am using over a quart of oil per tank of gas. Does not appear to be leaking. Certainly blows oil out of the discharge tube under the engine. Any thoughts on the subject? Its a '62 champ 6 cyl. Also, there does not appear to be an oil filter. Is this common?

If you are pushing oil out the draft tube and possibly out of the oil fill breather on the valve cover you may have bad pistons rings causing the blow by. Valve guides and seals may also need attention. In other words you may be looking at an engine overhaul.Many Studebakers of that vintage did not have oil filters as they were an option.
    Last edited by 41 Frank; 09-29-2011, 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I agree. The Champs were bad for this, and also cracked piston ring lands. Much as I like the little oddball OHV 6, it still suffers from being a 1939 design. It's time for an overhaul.

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
      If you are pushing oil out the draft tube and possibly out of the oil fill breather on the valve cover you may have bad pistons rings casing the blow by. Valve guides and seals may also need attention. In other words you may be looking at an engine overhaul.Many Studebakers of that vintage did not have oil filters as they were an option.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
      X