No announcement yet.

C/k fender vent gaskets etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: C/k fender vent gaskets etc.

Could someone show a pic or drawing of how the gaskets etc are assembled on the fender vents. I'm working on my 58 gloden hawk....naturally I didn't have enough pictures and the catalogs don't really show how it all goes together. Any help would sure be appreciated.

Don.
    sigpic
    58 Golden Hawk
    DSamborski
    Pillager, MN

From page 89 of '53-'58 Body Parts Catalog:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vent assembly.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1670539
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You know, it's funny that the driver's side should have the little screen and the passenger side has the little door. I'm going to fit the door on both sides.
      '53 Commander
      Art Morrison chassis
      LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Thanks for the picture...I did see that in a parts catalog.. I am missing the two parts that make up what looks like a sleeve. They must enclose the cap between the fender and the body? Am i right? I probably will have to manufacture them, I don't recall ever seeing them listed anywhere.
        sigpic
        58 Golden Hawk
        DSamborski
        Pillager, MN

Comment

I might do the same but my screen on the drivers side is in excellent shape.
          sigpic
          58 Golden Hawk
          DSamborski
          Pillager, MN

Comment

I did see that the whole assembly is available. Looks like thats what i will have to do.
            sigpic
            58 Golden Hawk
            DSamborski
            Pillager, MN

Comment

Originally posted by ralt12 View Post
              You know, it's funny that the driver's side should have the little screen and the passenger side has the little door. I'm going to fit the door on both sides.
              Would a similar "door" mounted on the drivers side when open interfere with operation of the dimmer switch, and if equipped, the clutch pedal??? TIA

Comment

Originally posted by don samborski View Post
                Thanks for the picture...I did see that in a parts catalog.. I am missing the two parts that make up what looks like a sleeve. They must enclose the cap between the fender and the body? Am i right? I probably will have to manufacture them, I don't recall ever seeing them listed anywhere.
                I gleaned a wealth of info about "C/K vents" from this (below) SDC Forum thread. Hopefully it will help you as much!!!

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=vent+spring
                Last edited by Welcome; 09-04-2011, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                  Would a similar "door" mounted on the drivers side when open interfere with operation of the dimmer switch, and if equipped, the clutch pedal??? TIA
                  In mocking it up, the dimmer is a bit over an inch to the right of a fully open door. No clutch, so I'm not worried about that. I'm not too worried about the intensity of the low beams, as they're HID and should be just dandy. I don't come across the occasion to use my highs on my other cars very often, so I think I'll be fine. Plus, since it's air-conditioned, I eliminate another spot where cool air would escape.
                  Last edited by ralt12; 09-04-2011, 11:28 AM.
                  '53 Commander
                  Art Morrison chassis
                  LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Man all the help is great ....and i thought i was the only one not understanding a simple set up...or i thought.

Don
                    sigpic
                    58 Golden Hawk
                    DSamborski
                    Pillager, MN

Comment

Originally posted by ralt12 View Post
                      I think that door has to do with the climatizer...in cold weather, one would still need to have the exterior vent door open to feed fresh air to the climatizer, but close the door on the interior side so the cold fresh air could be directed through the blower and then through the heater core. Don't know this for sure because I have not hooked up my climatizer...have rebuilt the blower, installed new 12V motor, and had the heater core cleaned, just never got around to putting all back in the car. I've heard that some c/k's came from the factory with 2 heater cores....if that is true, maybe these cars had dual blowers, and the little door on the drivers side?? Does anyone have a car with 2 heater cores? ralt12...any updates to share with us on your car...maybe some photos? Regards, Junior
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                        I think that door has to do with the climatizer...in cold weather, one would still need to have the exterior vent door open to feed fresh air to the climatizer, but close the door on the interior side so the cold fresh air could be directed through the blower and then through the heater core. Don't know this for sure because I have not hooked up my climatizer...have rebuilt the blower, installed new 12V motor, and had the heater core cleaned, just never got around to putting all back in the car. I've heard that some c/k's came from the factory with 2 heater cores....if that is true, maybe these cars had dual blowers, and the little door on the drivers side?? Does anyone have a car with 2 heater cores? ralt12...any updates to share with us on your car...maybe some photos? Regards, Junior
                        They ALL have two heater cores (except 63-64). One under the seat, and one on the firewall that heats the windshield (defroster)........it is a seperate heater core by definition.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                          I think that door has to do with the climatizer...in cold weather, one would still need to have the exterior vent door open to feed fresh air to the climatizer, but close the door on the interior side so the cold fresh air could be directed through the blower and then through the heater core. Regards, Junior
                          Junior is correct. No need for a door on the driver's side unless you like symmetry. The passenger side door is only closed when you want fresh air through the heater. Opened with the outer door closed allows interior air to recirculate. Works well.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                            They ALL have two heater cores (except 63-64). One under the seat, and one on the firewall that heats the windshield (defroster)........it is a seperate heater core by definition.
                            ya, okay you got me there....I meant to say, that I've heard that some c/k's came were equipped with dual under seat heater cores. If that is correct, I would like to know if they had dual blowers, or just one blower that served both heaters. Regards...Junior.
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                            X