Zddp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Zddp

I've been advised to use ZDDP in my '56 Sky Hawk. Has anyone had any experience with it?
    peter lee

Its a good idea or better yet use an oil that has enought Zddp already in it. Vavoline racing oil, castrol classic car oil and I think Kendal now makes a classic car oil, do a search on the forum for Zddp or motor oil. This subject comes up from time to time lots of info out ther on it, turning wheels also covered it but I don'e know what month/year.
    Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
    I've been advised to use ZDDP in my '56 Sky Hawk. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I do not have any experience with ZDDP, but do have a little experience with Studes. Together, the wife and I have driven them about 500,000 miles since 1985. About 200,000 of that has been in 56Js, and most of the remainder has been on 259 &289 Stude V8s (I had a 1965 Daytona with 283, and a 1960 Lark with flat six for a few thousand miles).
      I have used Mobil 1, 15W50 for the past 10 years or so and change it every 10,000 miles. Prior to that, used Castrol 15W50 and changed it every 5,000. I have rebuilt about half dozen Packard V8s, and a few Stude V8s. I have never seen any evedence of ZDDP related failure to camshafts, or anything else for that matter. Nor do I know anyone who has.
      The ZDDP issure is dejavu of the removal of lead from gasoline. The aftermarket companies sold a lot of additives to "replace the lead which is critical to cushioning valve seats in older cars" till the consumer eventually wised up. Incidentally, never experienced that either, and neverf bought any lead additive.
      Joe H

Comment

Correction to last post: Castrop 20W50.
        It is noteworthy the Stude engines, comparatively speaking with high performance cars of the 1960s-70s, have low lift, gentle sloping cam profiles with light valve spring pressure. Much of the hype that has been cited about ZDDP has been in reference to high performance engines made by other companies, i.e. the big four.
        Just my experience.
        Joe H

Comment

Enter ZDDP in that little search box on the RHS top on this page..
          There is a lot to read, and a lot of good info.....

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

One more time: Castrol 20W50. My typing definitely needs work.
            Joe H

Comment

To add something to the discussion about oil additives, I called the Chevron and spoke with one of their technical reps. He said that the supposed problems with camshaft failures related to oil additives comes from the high performance aftermarket cams and improper cam lube during installation and improper break in proceedures and not from the lack of additives in modern engine oils. He said that the new oils offer adequate protection to flat tappet cams in older engines because different additives have been added to the oil to make up for the decreased amount of zddp. He also said that he didn't recommend adding additives to engine oil because the additive package already in the oil could be compromised. Bud

Comment

I have also heard that it's only during break in that you are likely to have problems. Reground cams, and high spring pressures aggrivate the problem.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                X