Noisy clutch 50 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Noisy clutch 50 Commander

First, I must disclose that my knowledge of auto mechanics is quite limited, and my mechanical aptitude is even more limited. I can do most general maintenance on the car but can't handle major repairs. Thus I'd appreciate your reply in "Auto Mechanics for Dummies" language if possible. Thanks.

Here's what I can tell you.

My 50 Land Cruiser has severe clutch chatter when startiing from a dead stop. The transmission seems to shift fine, stay in gear, etc. There is an oil leak on that side of the car underneath so there might be some contamination of some sort.

When I put the car in netural and then release the clutch pedal I hear a metallic whirring/light grinding sound when the pedal is fully released and which goes away when I depress the clutch pedal. I really can't tell whether the sound is present while driving. The clutch pedal seems to operate smoothly.

I just acquired the car a few weeks ago. I didn't notice the noise when I looked at the car but I'm sure it was probably there then--I just didn't notice it. I did notice the clutch chatter at that time. The car hasn't been driven very much over the past few years. And I've only had time to drive it a few miles since I got it.

That's about all I can tell you. But feel free to ask me questions if you need more information to help in the diagnosis.

I'll probably have to hire someone to do the work. The more information I have going in, the more comfortable I'll feel. Knowledge is power.

Thanks in advance for helping.

It sounds like your pressure plate may be coming apart. I've had one come out in dozens of pieces but it still ran until I took off the transmission. The best way to check is to remove the transmission . . .

I used to do it lying on my back - laying the transmission on my chest, and then after replacing the clutch and pressure plate, lifting the transmission up and putting it into the throwout bearing. By the time I in thirty I was much weaker and couldn't get it up [the transmission, that is].

The transmission is heavy and hard to handle - you're better off letting a mechanic do it, unless you either want to learn or are cheap like me.

Alan Hagan

Comment

Working...
    X