A/C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: A/C

I'm wanting to install A/C in my 59 Lark and would like to know the dimensions of an original under dash unit. If I have to use a non Studebaker unit I need to know what will fit. Any ideas will be appreciated.

The "under Dash" has no limits except the steering column and the right kick panel. The Mark IV, and others were not the same size as the Studebaker/Ford/AMC (Eaton?) unit that was used, so anything fits.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The only Studebaker that I owned (of more than 50) with A/C was a 1960 Lark. I can't give you exact dimensions, but can tell you that it was a BIG box. They were about twice the size of the nicer 1962 and up units (1961 was the only Lark unit integrated with the heater and fresh air).

Most any later aftermarket unit will fit.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I will measure mine today, and report back. Do you need to know how far back under the dash it goes?

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
          I will measure mine today, and report back. Do you need to know how far back under the dash it goes?

The unit pictured is the much smaller unit, not the box used in 1959-1960 Larks.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The "smaller" unit is 13"wide, 13" deep, and 6" high. It may appear smaller, but it is the largest unit you can physically put in a hawk. Now a lark may be a different story. The drain line from this box is sitting on the transmission hump. And the fans are against the firewall. I replaced the defroster hoses, and the only way to get to them was to take out the tach, and reach thru the hole.

Comment

Working...
            X