twisty ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: twisty ride

my 63 Hawk seems to rock from corner to corner (diagonally) when I go over a bump or dip at highway speed. I have new shocks all the way around and the car sits level but it definately seems to dip more on one side more in the rear on bumps or dips in the road at highway speed. I would think if i had a weak rear spring it would sit crooked

I measured from front to back on each side looking for rear end mis-alignment is measures okay. New squeaky derlin control arm bushings in the front also

any ideas anyone?
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

Just a thought, it may need a rear sway bar. That will help plant it on the road. I drove a friends older Mustang, before and after, and it really made a difference in control.

Comment

I have the same problem on my 64 Cruiser. I have replaced all four shocks and the center pin. I am thinking now about front and rear springs. Alittle scary when you are driving 70 mph and the car does a cornet to corner bounce like that.

Mark

Comment

If you have a squeak from the Delrin then something is wrong. I have never had a squeak with them so a few questions. Are they grease-able? Friction creates the squeaks. If it was not squeaking before the Delrin then it is either the design of the bushes, lack of lubrication, or maybe some of the original parts are defective. Are they Delrin or Urethane?

I second the sway bar deal. Heaver front and add one to the rear. With driving today's cars we forget that they have so many traction and stabilizing devices from the factory that when one drives a 50 year old car it is a bit of a shock. Especially if your driving from a memory of how good they used to be. For their time the were pretty good if one got all the factory HD upgrades and handling options but it's hard to find and own one unless one upgrades it ones self. Better materials and manufacturing are available today so finding parts to use is not that hard. A few vendors can supply HD suspension parts or if you are adventurous, or budget conscious, one can find a big three donor car at a yard and modify it to fit.

Your spring might be your main problem if they do not support the load in cornering and your shocks, really suspension travel dampeners, may also need to be replaced.

With the right spring, shock and sway bar combination your car should be able to be driven with confidence through any corner, as long as your brakes and steering don't fail, but that's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
          If you have a squeak from the Delrin then something is wrong. I have never had a squeak with them so a few questions. Are they grease-able? Friction creates the squeaks. If it was not squeaking before the Delrin then it is either the design of the bushes, lack of lubrication, or maybe some of the original parts are defective. Are they Delrin or Urethane?

I second the sway bar deal. Heaver front and add one to the rear. With driving today's cars we forget that they have so many traction and stabilizing devices from the factory that when one drives a 50 year old car it is a bit of a shock. Especially if your driving from a memory of how good they used to be. For their time the were pretty good if one got all the factory HD upgrades and handling options but it's hard to find and own one unless one upgrades it ones self. Better materials and manufacturing are available today so finding parts to use is not that hard. A few vendors can supply HD suspension parts or if you are adventurous, or budget conscious, one can find a big three donor car at a yard and modify it to fit.

Your spring might be your main problem if they do not support the load in cornering and your shocks, really suspension travel dampeners, may also need to be replaced.

With the right spring, shock and sway bar combination your car should be able to be driven with confidence through any corner, as long as your brakes and steering don't fail, but that's another story.

they are Derlin w/grease fittings. It is the upper drivers side that squeaks, that control arm seems to be spread some, grease did not help. WD40 helps for a while other than that the front suspension is very good. I just had both sidees completely apart installing the bushings, I did not move the Camber adj. the spread control arm would not be noticable with the more forgiving rubber bushings.
          Mark Riesch
          New Bern, NC

Comment

Yoicks, Delrin Bushings in Houston, TX... I often tell people that the only thing I don't like about driving to Houston, is driving IN Houston and that's with a new car...
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Tex. Mark,
              Where did you obtain the front contrl arm Delrin bushings? Have not been able to find any since the Aussie firm quit supplying them.
              Thanks, Paul TK

Comment

Paul, Chuck Collins at Studebaker Parts Online has been selling Delrin bushings for a few years now.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Yep, Chuck Collins
                  I am sure the upper control arm is the problem, not the bushings
                  Mark Riesch
                  New Bern, NC

Comment

Thanks for the Derlin lead.
                    Paul TK

Comment

Working...
                    X