Adjusting the trunk lid on a '48 Starlight coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Adjusting the trunk lid on a '48 Starlight coupe

The trunk lid on my coupe is pulling off center to the right at the back of the lid. The shop manual recommends adjusting the hinge where it bolts to the wheel well. I have tried this and cannot make it move, the lid that is. The four hinge bolts on the left of the lid seem to be pretty set in where they want to be. A PO has used a hammer to try to force the lid forward on the left side. I do not think he had any luck doing so.
    As it is now when I close the trunk lid it strikes body area just to the right of the lid and then slides into position. Needless to say the paint has not held up well in this area.
    In addition, when closing the lid the left front edge of the lid is raised in relationship to the body and must be pushed down.
    Photo 1 is of the left front of the lid.
    Photo 2 is of the lid when closed.
    Photo 3 is of the lid down but not latched.
    Thanks for your help.
    73, Jim

I had this problem. It turned out to be a bad hinge. I do my own repair and repined.

Comment

Thanks Roy, were you able to repair it in place or did you have to remove the hinge?
      73, Jim

Comment

Also, look at the lid itself, just behind where the hinge bolts. Often if the hinge binds up, it will collapse the inner structure, and cause the very same alignment problems you show.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Check where the hinge is mounted inside the car also. A kink/bend there will cause the same issue.
          I believe that is a double action hinge. Springs pull one way to help lift the lid, when closing the springs reach a tipping point and start pulling the rear of the lid down. A bend in either mounting point will change that "tipping point" and you get this result. If all is still original, try putting a shim under the rear of the hinge INSDE the car. It's counter intuitive cause it looks like it raises the hinge.Actually it does, but it may raise it enough to allow the hinge to Tip Over and pull itself down. But most likely, something is bent somewhere.

Comment

Bez, thanks, I will check that also. Are you referring to the metal that the hinge is bolted to, the inner structure of the lid?
            73, Jim

Comment

yes, both ends of the hinge

Comment

Originally posted by 9echo View Post
                Bez, thanks, I will check that also. Are you referring to the metal that the hinge is bolted to, the inner structure of the lid?
                73, Jim
                Yes, it's pretty common. Another reason why periodical lubrication is a must on every moving part on these cars.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948

Comment

You will need a new hinge. Starlight, bus coupes hinges are dif. that sedans, convert, and 4 doors. Make sure you get the correct hinge.

Comment

Bez, I found that out when I got the car home. I do not think the hood or trunk lids had been lubed in the last 25 years. Really tight.
                    I have the car up and running. I only have to finish the repairs to the wiring and the trunk hinge. I really think I should change the trans and diff fluids before driving it. That oil is probably at least 50 years old.
                    In a previous post I mentioned that the trunk floor was going to need some help. After pulling the mat out I find that it will need a whole bunch of help. This car has the spare tire bolted flat on the floor and I understand that a replacement is not available. Looking under the car I find that the gas tank extends under where the upright spare carrier is located. What have others done in this situation?

Finally got it outside to take some photos.

73, Jim
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by 9echo; 05-29-2011, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Yes, unfortunately because of a change to the rear sections of the frame, 47-48 differs from 49-52. Classic Enterprises makes the trunk floor for 49 and later, but not 47-48.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Any good restoration shop with metal working tools (ie: bead rollers) can make up floor sections. There is a place in Michigan that advertises on Ebay, and produces trunk sections (halves) for later 49-52. Perhaps a left hand section flipped over could be utilized on the right?
                        Last edited by bezhawk; 05-30-2011, 01:01 PM.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948

Comment

Working...
                        X