champion 6 cylinder rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: champion 6 cylinder rebuild

Hello everyone, I have a 1948 champion with a 6 cylinder engine. I believe it has a fair amount of miles on the old thing(not sure because the odometer is broken) I want to have the engine rebuilt, but I do not have the means to do it myself. Does anyone know of someone who will do a good job, someone I can trust on the east coast to take my car to and have the motor rebuilt? I love this old car and I want to keep it original ( as opposed to street rodding it, which happens to alot of these cool cars) and I want to keep and enjoy it for a long time. Any and all help will be much appreciaated. moonshiner

Why not check with your local SDC Chapter members? I'm sure they have the experience you seek.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I'm in Woodbridge, VA and Cathcart is in MA, a good bit of distance... All the local shops say they can do the machine work but I'm not convinced since none of them have rebuilt one or have rebuilt only a few. I'm willing to do most of the work except the machine work (hot tank, boring, cam bearing install, crank turning, valve guides, & valve seats). My engine smokes and the oil pressure is 2-3 lbs. Let me know what you come up with and if I get mine done first, I'll let you know what I did. Geez, maybe we could get a volume discount by getting both ours done at the same time???
      1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
      See rescue progress here on this blog:
      http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

I doubt it would cost $100. to ship those little flatheads to Cathcart from your locations.....try UPS...I don't think the blocks weigh that much. A few years ago a had a NOS 6 banger sent from SASCO...cost me $90. to my door. I'd suggest its worth that in piece of mind knowing you're getting a good job done right.....

Comment

Moonshiner and JohnM15 --- check your pm box ---
          64 Champ long bed V8
          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd pass this along--I talked to Bill Cathcart on the phone yesterday as I'm ready to order some performance goodies for my 6. He just got out of the hospital and is recuperating. He sounded very tired, so I didn't keep him on the phone and told him I'd call him back in a few weeks once he had a chance to feel a little better.

So if you'd tried to contact him and weren't able to reach him, that's what's up. I don't know any details--I was anxious to let him get back to rest so made the call as short as possible.
            Dave Nevin
            Corvallis, OR
            1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

There's a fully rebuilt 1951 170 Champion Six for sale in the Atlanta area. Rebuilt by Dave Thibault. Not cheap, but it's ready to go.

A rebuilt DG-150 Automatic trans and torque converter can be had also.

Comment

Mbstude, how about some contact info on that engine?
                1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
                See rescue progress here on this blog:
                http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

That would be me. mbstude@gmail.com

Comment

I think most good rebuilders can do a good job with a bit of tech page info from the shop manual....I've always gotten an estimate with all the work to be done and a final receipt for what was done for piece of mind and no questions...

Comment

Working...
                    X