53 - 54 Climatizer and Defroster hose Clamps and Clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 53 - 54 Climatizer and Defroster hose Clamps and Clips

I have some original '53 Climatizer and Defroster hose clamps and clips. I would like to make them look more like new original.

Anyone know what they were originally plated with? Zinc? Cadmium? Other?

Anyone know where I can get them replated?

I am wire brushing and cleaning them with walnut blasting media. Any suggestions for a paint that might make them look more like new original?

Thanks,

Being spring steel, I don't think they had any kind of plating when original. I media-blasted mine and rattle-canned them with a steel gray paint. Now they look like new spring steel items.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Some smaller clamps were kind of tinted...I use metal cast tint from ORilleys in either the red or green translucent (smaller ones were sometimes green, and larger were red......but barely tinted....looked like a magic marker type of tint, not opaque at all.
      Maybe the green was a zinc phosphate or chromate, and the red I havent a clue, perhaps a weak oxide primer?
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Don Jeffers View Post
        I have some original '53 Climatizer and Defroster hose clamps and clips. I would like to make them look more like new original. Anyone know what they were originally plated with? Zinc? Cadmium? Other?<<<Thanks,
        WOW ...Don is another one of 'em!?!?

There are VERY few of us that go into "that great of detail" ...but if you know the original Studebaker part numbers there is a real good chance of finding out what plating and/or coating was called for.

Comment

Eastwood's stainless steel spray cans work good.. leaving a bit of a grey tint.
          It is also EXCELLENT on exhaust manifolds.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips.

The hose clamps cleaned up nicely with a stainless brush and they do appear to be a nice spring steel.

Haven't done the hose clamps yet or used the walnut media blast on the clamps or clips. I will try the paint tips on those items that don't clean up well.

Thanks again all.

Comment

Working...
            X