Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine is Out - What to Replace? [59 Hawk V8]

Hi Everyone:

I have the engine out of my 59 Silver Hawk (V8) as it is being prepped for repaint. The motor is original and has 185,000 miles.

Based on your experience with these cars, what major components do you recommend I replace while the motor is out?

I am mostly concerned about items that are difficult to replace with the motor installed (e.g., rear main seal).

Please advise,

Shaun

main seals (and oil pan gasket) would be the big ones in my mind. Most everything else can be done in car if you have to, although if you are anal retentive once you have the engine on a stand and the pan off you might want to check the crank journals.

Warning: doing this may cause you to go nuts and do a lot of work you probably didn't need to do. Ask me how I know this.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The motor is original and has 185,000 miles.
      Everything, if the engine

Warning: doing this may cause you to go nuts and do a lot of work you probably didn't need to do. Ask me how I know this.
      If it really has 185kmi on it, literally every wear part on the engine is beyond tolerance. Ask me how I know this.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

There are rebuild kits available in various degrees of cure. Valve seals, rings, bearings, oil seals, oil pump rebuild, oil pressure relief ...all available. Did you hear it running? Was it smoking? Leaking?
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

If the engine has 185k miles on it, it is due for a total rebuild. I agree with Jack Vines, everything in the engine is worn beyond limits or is really close to it. It's a whole bunch easier and you can do a better job if you rebuild the engine while it is out of the car. Bud

Comment

I'll add to Buds comments: check the taper in the cylinder walls, "most likely" you will need to bore it out and replace the pistons. For the little bit extra, have everything balanced, also, find a place that can dip the block in a de rusting solution, that will clean out the inside of the block. We have a place here in Indy that for $75, you bring them a slimy block, they bake it and burn the grease and oil off it, then dip it. You get back a perfectly cleaned out block, including the water jackets. Then get the machine work done!

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

unless your insistent on matching numbers..I'll bet there are 25 Studebaker V8's within a couple hundred miles of you right now.....that would be perfect transplant drop-ins...

Comment

Working...
              X