C Cab with 63 lark engine and trans Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: C Cab with 63 lark engine and trans Help please

Trying to help a friend with this C cab project. The PO dumped in a car engine, nothing really fits but its in there. The best advice I can think of is to locate a truck V8 and STD trans to put in, but he wants an automatic. He is new to Studes and wants to fix this one up.

There was a reason truck V8 engines were on the starboard side. I guess it could be made to fit, but I'd not attempt it.

Comment

Car/Truck Engine?

I may be missing something here but my C-Cab has a 1964 V8 (289) installed that seems to fit just like a truck V8... my V8 looks just like my friends "truck" V8 in his Champ - apart from a different serial number system and the fact the truck V8's could arrive with a HD package, what's the difference? Am I missing something?
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

No, the ENGINE can be made to work, no problem there. Just that a long tail Flight-O-Matic and 259 V-8 from a '62 Lark has been "dumped" into a "R" Series "C" cab where it does not belong, so there are many issues with linkage, front & rear Engine Mount BRACKETS, engine mounts, bellhousing, driveshaft, etc, etc that probably can only be solved by a very Stude. Truck/Car knowledgeable person being in Richland, WA in EASTERN, WA to help a Stude. newbe, so I am too far away to do that.

As I said, he will need to start with an Automatic Truck Bellhousing I guess, and of course he has the wrong Throttle bellcrank for a Truck, they are like Night & Day apart.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
          No, the ENGINE can be made to work, no problem there. Just that a long tail Flight-O-Matic and 259 V-8 from a '62 Lark has been "dumped" into a "R" Series "C" cab where it does not belong, so there are many issues with linkage, front & rear Engine Mount BRACKETS, engine mounts, bellhousing, driveshaft, etc, etc that probably can only be solved by a very Stude. Truck/Car knowledgeable person being in Richland, WA in EASTERN, WA to help a Stude. newbe, so I am too far away to do that.

As I said, he will need to start with an Automatic Truck Bellhousing I guess, and of course he has the wrong Throttle bellcrank for a Truck, they are like Night & Day apart.
          Ahh... now I understand - thanks Mike!
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

what's the difference? Am I missing something?
            Engines are essentially the same. Everything which attaches the engine to the truck - bellhousing, water manifold, motor mounts, throttle linkage, transmission, shifter, parking brake, driveshaft, carburetor and spacer, as well as a thousand small parts are completely different.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Yes, some of you may (also) know this project was done wrong. He is on the sunny side of the mountains in WA state........

Thats a long tow for custom work by me.

Comment

I've always wanted to do one with Cadillac power. Were I in his shoes I might sell the Stude engine and go that route.
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Keep it all Stude power. My own 59 C-cab is powered by a 63 Hawk 289 with automatic. Mine came to me with the Hawk v-8 auto and modified hawk trans mount I have since changed over to a 200r4 automatic. The previous owner made new engine brackets as the truck brackets place the engine a bit higher in the truck. The driveshaft is no problem eithere as any good driveline shop can make you a new one. My throttle linkage is modified hawk and my trans shifter is connected to the origonal column shifter confusing many people as to why there is no clutch pedal. I have been driving this setup in my truck for more than 12 years now

Comment

Hi,

I'm the one with the 2R and I think a 63/64 259, automatic and rear end. Whoever put it in has the engine sitting low so that the fan just clears the diagonal members that come in at the center of the radiator. The rear is supported by a cross member that is at the front of the transmission. The rear flange of this cross member is bent down and the transmission pan rubs against it. I definitely need to do something about this. The throttle linkage bolted to the back of the block just barely clears the firewall so I can't move the engine rearward. I need to modify or replace the cross member.

Also, I have heard that there is a truck specific for V-8s waterpump manifold that raises the fan relative to the engine. I will also need that. Otherwise, I think this arrangement will be OK. The carbureator is basicly level to slightly tilted toward the front. With the right cross member, I could move the engine a little forward and up. I think the driveline angles will be OK. The driveshaft is a sliding yoke out of the transmission with normal universals at both ends. The differential is a Twin Traction Dana.

Looking forward to your input.
                    Thanks
                    Norm

Comment

Welcome Norm!

We'll get this figured out.

Comment

Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

You should check with Ted Jenson on the Stude Truck Forum, Quite a resourceful guy when it comes to mix matching Stude parts with other Studes, as well as other mods. One that comes to mind, Mercedes power steering on a R series truck.

And his latest. W/auto trans

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Many years ago, I helped put a car V8 with overdrive into a '57 Transtar. We used 1" square tubing, as I recall, for spacers under the front motor mounts. Car water manifold, and there were no cooling issues. Similar blocks under your transmission mounts should fix the issue with the tranny pan.

For the throttle, just use a cable throttle from the auto wreckers. You will need either a linkage rod or a cable from the carb down to the throttle valve on the transmission (it is more than just a kickdown!), and it will definitely require some experimentation to get it set up right.

This is the sort of job where a knowledgeable hot rodder or speed shop may be of more help than a Studebaker person. Short of doing it 100% factory style with all factory parts for a V8/auto in a truck, you will have to wing it. Hot rodders that do engine swaps, that's what they do.
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks guys, Gord, you make good points: I have only seen pictures of the truck and was trying to estimate the height difference between the stock car and truck set ups to decide whether to use stock stuff, or just do a custom install.

You are correct, I may have most of the Stude parts to convert the truck, but a simple lift is all it really needs. Looks like a throttle cable could be used, or lengthen the bell crank. I have some car transmission rods, or new stock to make a throttle pressure rod. I'm not sure how far Norm wants to go. Some guys will say its cobbled up, other guys just want it to work. I have a little hot rodder in me, but not the closest shop to him.

Comment

I've been building hot rods for fifty years, but V8 truck parts are so thick on the ground, work-arounds are not how I'd spend my time.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X