How to identify intake/exhaust valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: How to identify intake/exhaust valves

Ok trying to adjust the valves on my Hawk- 289 ci. having a brain lock today, so how
    can I identify which valves are which? they don't line up with ports like I thought
    so I need to know which are intake and which are exhaust.
    Help?

Thanks,
    Joe D.

The two closest to the ends and the two closest to the middle are the exhaust valves.
    54 Commander Coupe driver
    53 Commander Hardtop project
    SE Washington State

Comment

Oops, Sorry if I wasn't clear; (probably because its mechanics 101) I want to adjust the valves (engine cold) using the method suggested on this forum awhile back (I think by Dick Stenkemp); I have the valve covers off; now looking at the rocker arm assembly I'm not sure which are intake and which are exhaust valves; obviously there are 4 each on each side of the engine; need to
      know which are which...

Joe D.
      Last edited by valleyguy; 03-23-2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Cliffh has it. The four exhaust valves are closest to the three exhaust ports.
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Ex Int Int Ex Ex Int Int Ex on each side.

Terry

Comment

Thanks very much folks; not to beat this to death but this is my first time adjusting valves, so I don't want to make any mistakes..
            The method I mentioned above differs from the manual, and goes like this.... "Adjust this valve (1 intake) with this valve (6 intake) fully open.
            adjust this valve (3 exhaust) with this valve (2 exhaust) fully open, adjust this valve (8 intake) with this valve (5 intake) fully
            open" and so on, going through all the valves. Now, I assume these numbers correspond to the cylinder numbers
            specified in the manual for this engine, that is, 1.3.5.7 drivers side and 2.4.6.8 on the right side.. ?
            Thanks,

Joe D.

Comment

Working...
            X