Need year model I.D. of Unmarked Champion 6 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need year model I.D. of Unmarked Champion 6 Engine

Please see easily readable post number two.

Thank you, Rich.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM. Reason: Short four word lines.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Need year model I.D. of Unmarked Champion 6 Engine

OK, now I need a little Champion 6 help here!
    As most of you know I am strictly a V-8 guy, I have one overhead valve Six, but mostly always had and have the V-8's.

So It comes as no surprise that when a friend asked me how to tell if the replacement engine in his '51 R series Truck is of the '39-'58 Variety or the '59-'60 type using different pistons, I don't know.
    It is a replacement engine and is a 169 c.i. flathead small six, but it has no Serial number because it's a replacement and may be the more common replacement '59-'60 Lark Six, but I need the casting numbers of each to tell them apart.

I checked the 6 Cyl. Serial number listing hoping to find some casting number info, but none is listed so I am asking for the Forum members help with it, please.

Thank you, Rich.
    StudeRich
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In a forum search I found this post: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...asting+numbers

where I did find this good info posted By Dwain G. Quote: "Those are engine block casting numbers, not engine serial numbers. 518448 was used from about 1947 to '49 or '50. 524807 was used from about 1951 to '54. Use the sump and pan from the earlier 518448 block."

This should help if it is an older block, this is part of the puzzle but not all of the info needed.
      StudeRich
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

1955-58 185 blocks have casting number 533870, and 1959-60 170 blocks are 1548965.
        There's also date codes to be found near the distributor that might narrow the engine down to a particular model year.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thank you very much Dwain!
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X