PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger or fuel injection?

messerschmittfan
04-02-2006, 07:02 AM
As I rebuild my Hawk that came out of Switzerland I keep finding “interesting” modifications (such as the water pipe used as exhaust pipe straight back from the manifolds – not a real problem until you jack the car up) that have been made over the years, as the original parts were not available in Switzerland or in Germany where the car ended up after 20 plus years of storage.

I guess that the body work needed always gets greater the more one gets into it as the more one learns about the Hawk doesn’t it.

I have a Paxton Supercharger set-up (I think it is from a 64 GT Hawk) that is complete except for the mounts and the belt tensioned pulley set-up; does anyone know where I can obtain these items.

Has anyone ever installed fuel injection on the 289 V8? I am trying to decide if I want to just install the four-barrel with or without the Supercharger or sell it all and buy fuel injection. I am going to be driving this car when it is finished. Thank you all for any information or help you provide in advance. Harry

Swifster
04-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Companies like Holley and Edelbrock sell throttle body injection units. With a little work, one of these units could be made to fit with or without the supercharger.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

JDP
04-02-2006, 01:27 PM
You'll need a R2 water manifold, mount and tensioned pulley set-up. ( About $800 repro'ed)

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 Daytona Convert.

N8N
04-02-2006, 06:15 PM
This is just my opinion, and is worth exactly what you paid for it, but I wouldn't bother messing around with throttle body injection. With port injection you know that you don't have any fuel distribution issues (like fuel "falling out" of the air on some runners more than others) due to manifold design, all you're moving is air. This is the BEST way to do FI IMHO and with TBFI you're only getting half the advantages. I'd either go all out or just stick with a carb.

just my $0.02

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel