PDA

View Full Version : T-5 swap clutch linkage position

dclewallen
04-17-2005, 06:31 PM
On my Stude. V-8 5-speed swap. I've bushed the Stude. release bearing according to all the info I've been able to find, so it now fits the T-5 trans. The two clutch release bearing levers on the Stude. truck bellhousing that I'm using don't point straight up as I'm assuming they should. How verticle should they be using a Stude. bellhousing,release bearing and clutch assembly? I'm asking so I can determine if I need to notch the front bearing retainer. Dclewallen

Darryl C. Lewallen

11SecAvanti
04-17-2005, 07:46 PM
It has been years since I have installed a manual transmission but if I recall correctly the fork will move or slide the clutch release bearing on the input shaft support tube and the fork itself will make a slight arch It starts pretty close to vertical and moves forward a few degrees until it meets the clutch release forks. How far forward and how far back it starts depemds on the external linkage adjustment I think. Make sure you put some grease on the inside of the bearing so it will slide smoothly and not bind up on the input flange support tube. When the fork is correct it will have enough travel to disengage the clutch from the flywheel and return just enough to not turn continuously by contact with the clutch release forks. It should feel smooth with no bind or hard spots. Hope this helps.

Start and Stage Your Studebakers