PDA

View Full Version : Automatics in trucks?

John Kirchhoff
02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Just curious, did Studebaker put automatic transmissions in trucks? What about the DG transmissions? Not that I've seen that many pickups, but all had manuals.

StudeRich
02-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Sure John, quite a few were built, the DG 3 band was used in '55 and some '56 Transtars and then HD oil cooled low gear start Flight_O-Matics were used '56 to '64. I have even seen them in 1 1/2 ton Transtars.
Rich.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Roscomacaw
02-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Yes, and I have a question to pose to Rich, Dwain and anyone else that has a theory or facts. That question is : WHY did the truck transmissions (the Flight-o-matic type) use an electrically controlled vacuum modulator instead of the mechanical throttle linkage that ALL cars (whether FOM of DG-equipped) and trucks (with the DGs) used on automatics??? [:I]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

StudeRich
02-21-2007, 02:34 PM
That's a very good question Biggs, the last time you or someone mentioned it I just ignored it, because I really do not know. I'll toss out a couple ideas to see if it helps anyone figure it out though.

Number One: trucks have that special throttle bellcrank that for some reason blocks the left rear head water outlet hole (for the Temp. sender) and is way different than cars, maybe throttle rod clearance problems?

(2) If they used a Ford Cruise-O-Matic valve body for the Low gear start it would be available only for use with with the modulator, and CHEAPER since already designed. The question here is: then why do cars NOT have modulators on Police/Taxi/HD & 6cyl.? I understand that the electric part is merely just a "kick-down" switch. Maybe John Metzger has the answer to this one, he is the most knowledgeable Auto Trans. guy I know! [:0]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA