Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Automatics in trucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatics in trucks?

Just curious, did Studebaker put automatic transmissions in trucks? What about the DG transmissions? Not that I've seen that many pickups, but all had manuals.

Sure John, quite a few were built, the DG 3 band was used in '55 and some '56 Transtars and then HD oil cooled low gear start Flight_O-Matics were used '56 to '64. I have even seen them in 1 1/2 ton Transtars.
    Rich.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yes, and I have a question to pose to Rich, Dwain and anyone else that has a theory or facts. That question is : WHY did the truck transmissions (the Flight-o-matic type) use an electrically controlled vacuum modulator instead of the mechanical throttle linkage that ALL cars (whether FOM of DG-equipped) and trucks (with the DGs) used on automatics??? [:I]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That's a very good question Biggs, the last time you or someone mentioned it I just ignored it, because I really do not know. I'll toss out a couple ideas to see if it helps anyone figure it out though.

Number One: trucks have that special throttle bellcrank that for some reason blocks the left rear head water outlet hole (for the Temp. sender) and is way different than cars, maybe throttle rod clearance problems?

(2) If they used a Ford Cruise-O-Matic valve body for the Low gear start it would be available only for use with with the modulator, and CHEAPER since already designed. The question here is: then why do cars NOT have modulators on Police/Taxi/HD & 6cyl.? I understand that the electric part is merely just a "kick-down" switch. Maybe John Metzger has the answer to this one, he is the most knowledgeable Auto Trans. guy I know! [:0]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
        X