Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions Please

I would like feedback on the following:

The Avanti needs an entire exhaust system. Mufffler shop quoted 440-480 to bend all eight pipe and install.

Should I purchase said pipes from Stude vendors? The shop will charge me 85/hr labor to install my own supplied pipes.

What would you do??

get a price from Don Simmons, might be worthwhile to order from him. His pipes are stainless and if it takes more than two hours to install, even on an Avanti, something is wrong - have had excellent luck with fitment on several cars.

Of course, if you're getting the entire system, you could probably install it yourself if you have a Sawzall or 4" grinder. You'd need to get new hangers maybe but that's really the only gotcha. Of course new clamps as well, stainless is nice there too.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

If they are bending aluminized and you would prefer stainless, buy the pipes and mufflers from Don Simmons.

You might also find a do-it-all body shop. Their labor rates are often limited by what insurance companies pay them. Just a thought.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The alum pipes in there are about 20 years old.......ss would be overkill! as the alum lasted almost two decades!

personally I think the bending machine at the muffler shop would not be as good as the pipes from any of the vendors because they are bent per factory drawings...correct????

Comment

A shop that does a lot, and I mean a lot, of exhaust fabrication should be able to make them "as good" as any. Won't look factory, if that's what you want.

The last dual system I had fabbed on my '63 Cruiser was from manifold back, [u]WHILE I WAITED!!!</u>

That was at least a dozen years ago, the price was $350 and, I did drive a bit out of the way to get that price. while the car is no longer mine, it continues to "burble" <s>like</s> as it should.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Simmons. Simmons, Simmons, Simmons.

Comment

I need a complete exhaust system for my full package Hawk. How do I contact Don Simmons?
              Allen

Comment

I found his contact info.
                Allen

Comment

I just got a new set of stainless pipes and a muffler from Don Simmons (Silvertone) for my Transtar (they look great and will fit perfectly), last year I picked up a set of clamps and hangers from SASCO and it'll be a do it yourself project over the Easter long weekend... 'course it's definitley easier to work under a truck.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  "Star Performers with Saving Ways!"

Vancouver Island Chapter
                  http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Don is the only way to go.

I put a Stainless dual exhaust in my Hawk and the fit was perfect and took me an afternoon to install. I put a complete dual exhaust system in the Lark and fit perfect. That job took a little longer to fabricate a sheet metal hanger on the rear drivers side. I should have thought to ask Don for that part too but it slipped my mind. Don supplied me with SS hangers, U bolt clamps,pipes and mufflers.

No mistake about it, Don's a great vendor with a great product.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                    Oakville, Ontario.
                    Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Is it true that one has to make slits in the ends of the pipes where they slide into each other because the clamps will be unable to 'crush' the two ends together?

does one have to use ss u clamps?

Comment

The stainless steel pipes are very hard to crush for a tight fit. I cut my S/S flared pipes with about a 1.5" cut to get a better seal on the pipes. It works out well and is easy to the remove the exhaust when you have to pull the transmission at a later date.

Don Simmons sells complete kits with S/S pipe clamps. The nice thing about the S/S, ... it does not rust and is a snap to remove. The cost difference is negligible for the clamps.

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                        Oakville, Ontario.
                        Hamilton Chapter

1964 GT Hawk
                        PSMCDR 2014
                        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                        PSMCDR 2013
                        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Don's pipes are on my Avanti and my '53 Starlight; they are also on my Daughter's Jet Thrust powered '57 Transtar. We need to get Don on the computer... but for now his contact info is Silvertone Exhaust Systems in Ontario. Call at 519+485-1966. He is always in South Bend for the Spring Swap and a simple phone call will have your pipes in his trailer!

duane miller

Comment

I have to start this with the expression.........in a pigs ear........Some have proffered that one could remove and install a ss exhaust system in an Avanti in under two hours.........IN A PIGS EAR!

Ulilizing my buddies lift it took over four hours to complete......and we had a torch to burn off the pipes!

This is not a plug-in-play job, that's for sure:-(

On a pleasant note the exhaust sounds great....with burping pulsations!

Comment

Maybe just the install. I cut my old ones off with a grinding wheel and it took a long time and a lot of oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X