NAPA heater motor #655-1020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: NAPA heater motor #655-1020

I just replaced my 6 volt defroster with the NAPA #655-1020. Going from 6 volt to 12 volt. Works great!

I need to do the heater motor also, since it is still 6 volt. I would like to hear from some of you who have already done this, as I have a question about this motor in the frnder-well location. The thing that concerns me is the motor being located in the fender-well right behind the front tire. I can't tell if this motor is water proof, or even drip proof. There was no information in the box or on the internet and will be subject to water spray from the front tire.

Have any of you had any problems with moisture getting into this heater motor?

Thanks,

Scott

The Napa 655-1020 end bells are flared out just a little while the original motor was a more sealed housing. I siliconed the end bells-to-side-of-motor flare (end bell & shaft bell), sealed the six punched depressions at the end bell (opposite the shaft) and around the bolts of the new Napa motor. Use clear silicone and take your time... the sealer isn't even noticable when its dry. Don't know how the motor would hold up without the sealer.

Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark
    Ray Stewart SDC
    51 pick-up
    57 silver hawk
    62 lark

Comment

I noticed the defrost motor must run counter-clockwise. Can you verify this 1020 NAPA motor works that direction? Meanwhile the heater blower is clockwise as I did replace that one with the 1022.

Comment

NAPA claims the 1020 is reversible.

Looks like multiple wires to keep track of. Maybe the instructions say how.

Comment

Both motors are sealed, and are reversible. One wire is positive the other is ground. Reversing the wires polarity changes the direction of rotation.

Brian

Comment

Is motor 2 speed or single?

Comment

They are single speed. Some heater/defroster switches have a resistor on the back to get two speeds.

Brian

Comment

I have both now - the 1022 is clockwise and no other notation while the 1020 is stamped and the instruction/data sheet says reversible just by changing polarity. I may guess the 1022 is able to do that but I wouldn't want to try. I forgot to look if that one was of higher RPM - I'll check and post an update but both can be controlled by a rheostat or resistor bank if needed - otherwise they are single speed.

Comment

DC motors don't care if they run clockwise or counter clockwise. Switch the leads. cheers jimmijim
                  Originally posted by HammondA100 View Post
                  I noticed the defrost motor must run counter-clockwise. Can you verify this 1020 NAPA motor works that direction? Meanwhile the heater blower is clockwise as I did replace that one with the 1022.
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

It's the squirrel cage fan and housing that are direction of rotation dependant. Otherwise they won't push any air
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                    X