Avanti heater parts query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti heater parts query

Well wouldn't you know it. I got the 355 SBC fired up (Roared to Life is a better phrase) in the 83 Avanti ( Golly!!! That thing will stir your soul. Nice rocky idle at 750 RPM, cam comes up fast like the SBC race motors of the past, starts on the first turn. But I digress[][])

Found a large puddle of antifreeze under the car this afternoon. Looked all over the engine and it was dry as heck. Looked under the dash and my hand found the carpet soaked with Dex-Cool. Apparently the control valve or core is leaking to say the least.

A long way to go to ask, where do you find heater control valves or heater cores for an 83 Avanti.

I'll cover the engine start and other items in a later post.

Thanks

Bob

I'd bet it's the valve. I bought one off a vendor and it required the control for heat to work in reverse, warm=cold etc. It exploded in less than a year and only a few hundred miles. I sent my original out to get rebuilt but haven't installed it yet. I'm not 100% sure your 83 is the same valve.

The heater core can be repaired by a rad shop.

ErnieR

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006 __________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

Bob: One source might be Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors for parts or information. Other forum members may have additional suggestions. Bob

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Ernie

Where did you send it to be rebuilt?

Bob

Comment

It was awhile ago but I'll dig up the info. I haven't installed it yet so I can't attest to functionality. Not a real quick turnaround either.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

Ernie

Where did you send it to be rebuilt?

Bob

Comment

Avanti's should use the same heater core and heater control valve through 1985. They may have substituted a different one if the inventory of originals had been used up.

If you're running Dex-Cool I hope you thoroughly flushed the entire cooling system first...Dex-Cool and ethlene glycol coolants do not mix and create problems. GM started having problems when they changed to Dex-Cool some time back...clogs, corrosion, overheating issues, etc. It took a while of tests and investigation to find the root cause...people were adding to or replacing the Dex-Cool with ethlene glycol coolants and the mixture made for a goopy mess that clogged passages within the engine block, radiator and other cooling passages. The clogs resulted in overheating and blown head gaskets, particularly in aluminum block engines and radiators.

If your modern car came with Dex-Cool from the factory, stick with it. Regardless of what you use, make sure the entire system is completely flushed before making a change.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

NAPA has a kit to rebuild the control valves for about $10. It's not hard to do it but you have to be gentle with the bent tabs that hold the valve together. Also be very gentle working with any of the hoses going to the heater core. The pipe ends coming from the core are real long and leverage makes it real easy to crack the solder joint holding them to the core. This I learned from actual experience on my 63 Avanti.

Ken

Comment

Valve is repaired and restored.

ErnieR

R2 R5388 @ Macungie 2006 __________________ 1988 "Beater" Avanti

Comment

Ernie - Thanks for the info, if I track it to the Valve, I'll send it out. Time is not a big deal as we are expecting SNOW thursday so There will be no Avanti driving until spring.

Gunslinger - I chose Dex-Cool because my understanding is that it is the best formulation for high Aluminum content engines. My radiator, water pump and cylinder heads are all aluminum.

No worries about mixing as everything is brand new. However, thanks for the heads up, one of the things I like about this forum is that folks will speak up if they see something that bothers them.

jd-stude - Thanks for the info on the rebuild kit. I think with the lack of availability of these valves, I'll leave the rebuild to the pros. I've got plenty to do as is and if it can be broken chances sre I will.

My claim to fame?? is I'm pretty fearless about doing things because my moto I can fix it if I break it. I do admit at times like this I should back away.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X