PDA

View Full Version : restoration details on a 60 Lark engine needed

Lark259
01-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Hi,
I am restoring a 60 Lark V8,and want to make it factory correct looking.
My car has a silver engine with black valve covers,and is a Canadian produced car.
I noticed upon cleaning,that these parts had silver paint on them: engine mount brackets,inc rubber mounts,trans mount,bellhousing,transmission itself,clutch release bracket/pivot etc,lower crank pulley,carb linkage,generator brackets.Were all these in place when the engine was painted silver at the factory?
I also found the 4 clamps for the intake manifold were semi-gloss black.Were these installed after for some reason?[maybe the engine was hung by those bolt holes during installation and then the bolts and clamps were installed later?]
I really want this engine to appear authentic.Has anyone got the correct info to help out?Thanks.

Lark259
01-18-2007, 01:08 AM
That's what I gathered from looking at my engine.Seems like they just sprayed the whole assembly with most parts attached.Looks sloppy,but probably is correct.Any other guys with original engines to support this theory?

ddub
01-18-2007, 01:26 AM
This inspires the question how would an engine painted as factory original is described fare in judging? Not well I suspect.

Don Wilson
53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
Centralia, WA

klifton1
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
John
I think that you are right. I also think that is why SDC judges against a standard instead of car against car. An over restored car, Trailor Queen, would always out score an original. That is also why it is so hard to judge. A hand built car, fit and finish is way better than production.
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe