Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

restoration details on a 60 Lark engine needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restoration details on a 60 Lark engine needed

Hi,
    I am restoring a 60 Lark V8,and want to make it factory correct looking.
    My car has a silver engine with black valve covers,and is a Canadian produced car.
    I noticed upon cleaning,that these parts had silver paint on them: engine mount brackets,inc rubber mounts,trans mount,bellhousing,transmission itself,clutch release bracket/pivot etc,lower crank pulley,carb linkage,generator brackets.Were all these in place when the engine was painted silver at the factory?
    I also found the 4 clamps for the intake manifold were semi-gloss black.Were these installed after for some reason?[maybe the engine was hung by those bolt holes during installation and then the bolts and clamps were installed later?]
    I really want this engine to appear authentic.Has anyone got the correct info to help out?Thanks.

That's what I gathered from looking at my engine.Seems like they just sprayed the whole assembly with most parts attached.Looks sloppy,but probably is correct.Any other guys with original engines to support this theory?

Comment

This inspires the question how would an engine painted as factory original is described fare in judging? Not well I suspect.

Don Wilson
      53 Commander Hardtop
      64 Champ 1/2 ton
      Centralia, WA
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

John
        I think that you are right. I also think that is why SDC judges against a standard instead of car against car. An over restored car, Trailor Queen, would always out score an original. That is also why it is so hard to judge. A hand built car, fit and finish is way better than production.
        Klif

55 Speedster
        42 Champ Coupe
        55 Speedster/Street Machine
        63 Avanti R2
        64 Convertible R1

Comment

Working...
        X