No announcement yet.

Ethanol gas causing fuel tank problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanol gas causing fuel tank problems?

Seems like a rash of problems lately with Studebakers having driveabilty problems. Engines quitting, then re-starting after a short rest.

Typical response - replace the coil, points, condenser, rotor, cap, plugs ect. I'll be the first to admit I went as far as coil and points before I had the imagination to check the fuel filter I had installed years before, just ahead of the tank. It was totally clogged...I dropped the tank and it had an amazing amount of rust and trash. Jeff DeWitt on another thread wondered if the 10% ethanol these days could be the reason, that led to a Google search, check out the link below. Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

See my response to Mr Hansel on the adjacent thread.
    Regards
    Ken Michael

Comment

Thanks for providing that to everyone. I just bought a 51 Champion 6-cyl. What is the best octane gas to use? All of it here is 10 percent Ethanol.

I will be adding an inline fuel filter by the tank anyway, but will ethanol mess up the mechanical fuel pump? I've seen ads for "ethanol-resistant"
      electric fuel pumps for studes.

Regards,
      Clarence

Comment

possibly, if the last time it was rebuilt was not with a modern diaphragm... i'd keep an eye on it, and maybe go ahead and order a new rebuild kit just in case...

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

We have a Propane gas dealer here in Daytona , that has a sign, newly installed ,that reads
          "Ethanol Free Gasoline." I spotted it yesterday and haven't checked it out yet.
          Can't wait to see what the price is.
          Bill H
          Daytona Beach
          SDC member since 1970
          Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

quote:.....before I had the imagination to check the fuel filter I had installed years before, just ahead of the tank. It was totally clogged...I dropped the tank and it had an amazing amount of rust and trash.
            Of course, alcohol is a great cleaner. It's cleaning all the gunk out of the system that gasoline brings in. This is especially true of cars that sit for awhile, as the gasoline draws water vapor into the fuel and you end up with this goo that looks like orange snot. So a clean system is better, but I still wouldn't want to run ethanol through my Studebaker (or brand x cars).

Chris Pile
            Editor: The Studebaker Special
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Ehtanol in gasoline absorbs moisture, which can result in rusted gas tanks and quickly deteriorating neoprene fuel lines and fuel pump parts. We've had to use gas with ethanol here in Los Angeles for years and it has caused problems such as corroded metal parts and quickly deteriorating fuel lines. I add either Marvel Mystery oil or Lucas Fuel additive whenever I buy gas as I believe that the oil helps slow the deterioration problems. Regular grade gas is good for a six, higher octane gas is a waste of momey. Bud

Comment

Bud,
                I agree with you on the water problem when using ethanal. Brake fluid also has alcohol and that's probably what leads to rusty cylinders in the brake system. I know the gas tanks of our studes are really taking a beating and we don't know 'cause we can't see it until it is too late.

Comment

Some interesting E85 and biofuel reading....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Great info, thanks, guys.

Regards,
                    Clarence

Comment

I work at a marine dealership. Most of our repairs these day come from problems with "E10" ethanol gasoline. After several weeks setting in the fuel tank it absorbs water from the atmosphere and cleans any residue from the tank and dumps all of this into your filters and carbs. Usually results in cleaning tank and carbs completely
                      We recommend a product called "PRI-G" to eliminate most of the harmfull effects

Comment

Down here we have 'Unleaded' - about 90 - 92 Octane, 'Unleaded E10' - the same Octane with ethanol, and the 'Unleaded' 98 Octane, (Shell's Vortex, BP's Ultimate, etc etc). I haven't heard of any problems with gunk in the tanks but it may be happening. When the Ethanol brand came out I told my service guys to use it to cut costs, a month later we were back on normal Unleaded, the milage with the Ethanol added fuel was terrible.

Matt
                        Brisbane
                        Australia

Matt
                        Brisbane
                        Australia
                        Matt
                        Brisbane
                        Australia
                        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Aussie Hawk

Down here we have 'Unleaded' - about 90 - 92 Octane, 'Unleaded E10' - the same Octane with ethanol, and the 'Unleaded' 98 Octane, (Shell's Vortex, BP's Ultimate, etc etc). I haven't heard of any problems with gunk in the tanks but it may be happening. When the Ethanol brand came out I told my service guys to use it to cut costs, a month later we were back on normal Unleaded, the milage with the Ethanol added fuel was terrible.

Matt
                          Brisbane
                          Australia

Matt
                          Brisbane
                          Australia
                          Of course, as alcohol has less energy in it than gasoline, that's one of the reasons I refer to gasoline with alcohol as diluted.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

A Studebaker that has sat for a few years will get the sludge in the bottom of the tank dissolved into the goop described. I've had old car that sat run fine when I added a few gallons out of a can, but then had all the crap stirred up with a fill up from the pump and plugged up everything.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                            X