running out of gas problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running out of gas problem?

I run out of gas after about using about 8 gallons. please see my update as a reply. thank everybody for responding.
    Jim Rostron
    Jim Rostron

How bad is the tank? Just years of crud or big holesand rust. Is the car running?

Comment

If it may be just pinhole rust, I have had good results with Eastwood's tank sealer. When a friend of mine was over the house, we coated the tanks on his Sunbeam Tiger & he dripped a bit on the concrete. To this day it's still there. Wont chip off when hit with a hammer- very durable & is resistant to the newer additives mandated for air quality.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I have used Gas Tank Renu on two gas tanks with very good results. If you are in S. NJ there is a franchise in Philadelphia:

Gas Tank Renu of Philadelphia Inc is located at 193 Lenni Rd, Aston, PA. This business specializes in Auto Parts.

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Here's update: looked into the tank with flashlight, tank is extremly clean! tried to move the feed line in the tank with a rod and the feed line was solid and would not move. still run out of gas after using about 8 gallons. there are all new lines after the tank and new fuel pump. there is pressure after the pump when I take the line off. next weekend I'm going to try blowing through the line from the front of engine into the gas tank. any other suggestions???????

Jim Rostron
          Jim Rostron

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mnmfive

next weekend I'm going to try blowing through the line from the front of engine into the gas tank. any other suggestions???????
            Yeah... make sure you take the gas cap off before trying to back-flush the lines. BTDT... [B)]

Also check your gas cap- it may not be venting the tank properly as you drive. Vacuum builds up, and the fuel-pump can't overcome it.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
            Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
            Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Hi Jim, glad to see you here! If I remember our phone conversation correctly, this is a '58 President "J" body 2dr. Hardtop with 289 and Automatic. This year/model definitely does get a vented gas cap. If nothing else worked, check or replace it with a Stant Cap from NAPA or other "Good" Parts Store and make sure it says "VENTED"! [^]

A wrong or clogged cap, WILL cause this condition as Ray said! [:0]

Your parts were shipped today, thanks.

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X