Is this a fair deal? 48 conv.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a fair deal? 48 conv.

I sure could use some expert advice on this so called 47 Champion convertible on ebay. I think it's a 48. Also, I really don't think it's 22k miles, more like 122k. The seller has 2 other cars and only believes what is showing on the odometer.

I like this car a lot...but... The top is junk, and seat covers are bad. Grille is missing the upper part where the signals should be. Those items don't scare me, as I know I can get a local guy to do the top & seats. The grille part might be hard to get? I could live with the existing paint and bent bumpers for now. But! I want to use the car a lot around town this season.

There appears to be rot at the right cowl vent. The rest looks rotfree.

Please pick this car apart and help me with a fair approximate value in real world pricing. Would this car w/OD get fair gas mileage? Are these good road cars by 1948 standards? Thanks for your time

I forgot to mention that I've been a mechanic & restorer since 1970, so I can deal with all the suprises of a 60 year old car. This car is on it's second auction and never got a bid last time at 13k start price, which was way too much, I think. Thanks

Comment

It is a 47, and there are few ways of looking at value. If you bought it for say 12K, you could make it into a driver for under 15K with a new top and odds and ends. If you spent the 20-30K to make it a show car, better to buy a done car for 20K-25K. BTW, that mileage may not be as low as listed, but it could be since the car sat for over 40 years. The pedal pads don't look like they match a 122,000 mile car.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

The hood is a '48 or modified '47 to accommodate the '48 horizontal lazy S shield badge. The '47 had a vertical badge.

Comment

That grille part should be fairly easy to get - it's a common piece on all Champions of the period 47-49. What's not a common piece is the trunk lid. They rust at the bottom and replacements are hard to find. The one on this car looks pretty good though.

The car looks like a good, solid original - not many like this left.

Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          '60 Lark HT
          '63 Wagonaire
          Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          \'60 Lark HT
          \'63 Wagonaire
          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

The reason that fols think it is a 48 is that Studebaker extended the model year on all 47 convertibles. Many 47 ragtops when you look for parts especially in suspension and engine tell you to use 48 parts.

I have been through this. Studebaker extended the 47 line for these cars a little over 90 days into the 1948 production year as they did not need to produce any convertibles as sales for Post War Cars were exceeding demand.

Considering that this particualer car does have overdrive, where most did not, even with the lack of power as in passing on interstates the OD will put less strain on the engine and it would make a nice car to own.

Comment

Looks like the fire wall is a different color? But, ad says, "original paint" and what's an "automatic locking gas cap"?

Does look like something at the rt fender vent, but cannot tell exactly.

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

what's an "automatic locking gas cap"?

A neat factory option. Driver pushes a button and electricity makes the gas tank cap pop open.

Comment

I thought it was one of those caps that you can push on, but need a key to get it back off.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by skyway

what's an "automatic locking gas cap"?

A neat factory option. Driver pushes a button and electricity makes the gas tank cap pop open.
                    Is that the WHITE BUTTON under the dash ?????????

Comment

The body tag says 7G which is a 48.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by scott.rodgers

The car looks like a good, solid original - not many like this left.
                        Interestingly, it has original accessory Studebaker floor mats...

Craig

Comment

I saw that car, and thought- pending an inspection- it was worth that money, if it's as described. I'd try to make a deal, but probably would pay near the BIN if it was what I wanted. But that's just me.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

What Leonard says.[^]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for all the info so far! it looks like I came to the right place

The seller changed the ad to a 1948; it was listed as a "late 47"

They removed this from the ad just recently:

"Some people believe this is a 1948, because of the serial number on the inspection tag (seen in the photos). What we know is, we had bought the car as a 1947 (it is listed that way on our bill of sale). Based on the VIN# (G373488), our research with the Studebaker museum verified that was the correct year. The body tag on the firewall says "7G-S2 6240"."

There is no title with this car, so maybe it could be registered as a 48, instead of the old registration with 47.

So,if those accessory mats were put in when the car was new, and don't show wear, maybe it's not 122k miles?

Comment

Working...
                              X