X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed day... started nice...see video

Just one of those days...

I started this morning by washing the Stude up for drive down the hill into town. She looked and sounded so good I grabbed the video camera and took a little shaky footage. You can see that here:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

As I was driving into town I was thinking how great the car was running today. And then.... I started to smell that awful smell of burnt metal. Not too long after that I saw the smoke.

To keep this from being any longer than it needs to be, one of the freeze plugs pushed out and she dropped her water. I'm hoping there wasn't too much damage to the engine - I shut 'er down and got water into her as quickly as I could. The block showed 260 degrees on my hand held so we'll see. I'm disappointed that this will be the second set of freeze plugs I've paid to have replaced in 6 months. Oh well, would have been better off doing it myself.

Regards,
    Tom

Tom
    Three Rivers, CA
    1955 Commander 4 dr
    Tom
    Three Rivers, CA
    1955 Commander 4 dr

She sure sounded good on the tape, hope all is well with the engine.

Randy_G
    1959 Lark (project)
    This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

She sure sounded good on the tape, hope all is well with the engine.

Randy_G
      1959 Lark (project)
      This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

If she got too hot, it may have galled a couple of pistons. We're not going to talk about how I know that. If so, sometimes use will slick them up again. I doubt you did any damage unless it got hot enough to be pinging like mad.

Comment

If she got too hot, it may have galled a couple of pistons. We're not going to talk about how I know that. If so, sometimes use will slick them up again. I doubt you did any damage unless it got hot enough to be pinging like mad.

Comment

To quote a favourite celebrity from my childhood regarding your video; "Wonnerfull-ah, Wonnerfull-ah, Wonnerfull-ah."
            You know, it's odd. I thought the engine changed more than that from '52 to '55. Your motor looks much like my '52. Well, perhaps not so decrepit as mine.[:I]
            A pleasure to see such a beautiful car.[]

Lotsa Larks!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

To quote a favourite celebrity from my childhood regarding your video; "Wonnerfull-ah, Wonnerfull-ah, Wonnerfull-ah."
              You know, it's odd. I thought the engine changed more than that from '52 to '55. Your motor looks much like my '52. Well, perhaps not so decrepit as mine.[:I]
              A pleasure to see such a beautiful car.[]

Lotsa Larks!
              Ron Smith
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I enjoyed your video and your car looks great! Hope everything turns out okay with your engine.

Comment

I enjoyed your video and your car looks great! Hope everything turns out okay with your engine.

Comment

I think the 55 sedans are beautiful cars. Sure had the other brands of that time period beat IMHO!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I think the 55 sedans are beautiful cars. Sure had the other brands of that time period beat IMHO!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I had a freeze plug fall out two different times in my Hawk. The heads will crack if it gets to hot. Don't know if you want to pull them though. Just be sure to check for water in the cylinders. If you want to solve your freeze plug problems forever the holes can be tapped to 1 1/4" pipe thread and Ford racing freeze plugs can be screwed in. It's a pain but I did it without pulling the engine.
                        David

Comment

I had a freeze plug fall out two different times in my Hawk. The heads will crack if it gets to hot. Don't know if you want to pull them though. Just be sure to check for water in the cylinders. If you want to solve your freeze plug problems forever the holes can be tapped to 1 1/4" pipe thread and Ford racing freeze plugs can be screwed in. It's a pain but I did it without pulling the engine.
                          David

Comment

Thanks all for the nice comments. I'll like your solution David - that would solve that problem for good.

Tom
                            Three Rivers, CA
                            1955 Commander 4 dr
                            Tom
                            Three Rivers, CA
                            1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

Thanks all for the nice comments. I'll like your solution David - that would solve that problem for good.

Tom
                              Three Rivers, CA
                              1955 Commander 4 dr
                              Tom
                              Three Rivers, CA
                              1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

Working...
                              X