Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me find a torque converter for a ZIP Van!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Help me find a torque converter for a ZIP Van!!!

I recently bought a ZIP van from EBAY (first mistake). The seller said it "runs and drives". Well, after a new battery, it drove 2 miles and never started again. As I started taking it apart (second mistake) , it was problem after problem. Long story short, after removing the engine, it's apparent it needs a new torque converter. I can't find one. Apparently, Dacco makes one, a model S5, but I can't find one. Can anyone please help me with this issue? Then, I'm sure it'll be on to the next. Thanks for any help.

I got a NOS torque converter for a 6 cylinder. Don't know what it fits.

Comment

Cant Dacco rebuild yours? if not contact Target converters in North Little Rock Ar. Luck Doofus

Comment

Diesel Jim-- Will you sell yours? If so, how much?

Doofus (what a name!!)-- I've tried contacting Dacco, no response yet. If Diesel Jim won't sell his, I'll try Little Rock. Thanks for the leads.

Comment

I will sell it. PM for details.

Comment

Originally posted by TX Goat Herder View Post
            Doofus (what a name!!)--
            Gerald threw me a curve first time I saw him use that Nom de plume. I had to verify he wasn't adding a comma, not addressing everyone as "Doofus", but rather using it as his screen name.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Try Performance Torque Converters of Texas, LLC
              4110 S. Eden Rd
              Kennedale, Tx 76060
              817-563-5556
              They built my R-2 to my exact specs.

Comment

Thanks. I may give them a call if I can't get one from Diesel Jim.

Comment

Just curious, after only two miles of driving and removing the engine what are you basing the need for a new torque converter on? The reason asked is to be sure that is the real problem. I'm no expert myself but I find it best to describe the symptoms and see what those with experience have to say. My apology if you are an Auto trans man and know for sure. It is just that of late I see a lot of people self diagnose a problem and get all kinds of advise for something that is NOT the real problem.
                  '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                    Just curious, after only two miles of driving and removing the engine what are you basing the need for a new torque converter on? The reason asked is to be sure that is the real problem. I'm no expert myself but I find it best to describe the symptoms and see what those with experience have to say. My apology if you are an Auto trans man and know for sure. It is just that of late I see a lot of people self diagnose a problem and get all kinds of advise for something that is NOT the real problem.

I guess I wasn't too clear. The entire engine has been pulled. The torque converter had 'chewed up' teeth--it was obvious a new one was needed. The transmission work is being done now. The guys are taking their time.

Comment

It sounds like the torque converter may still be fine, and it just needs the ring gear replaced. I got mine from SI, and had the shop that rebuilt my transmission, remove the old, and weld the new ring gear on.
                      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I don't know that buying a Zip van is a "mistake". Maybe I am one of the very few, but I find them REALLY cool, and have come close to pulling the trigger more than once.

Seems like a very utilitarian vehicle to me. But then, I like weird stuff. I also still use most of my classics one way or another. My 49 Studebaker Farm truck has a ton (literally, 2000 pounds) of gravel in it right now, that I will be dumping with the functional dump bed ... this weekend. My 68 El Camino has a hidden trailer hitch, boxed in and beefed up rear frame rails, and can tow 9,000 pounds. My 64 Vanden Plas Princess (old British Limo that looks like a Rolls ..... same coach builder) gets used to drive kids to the prom or pick up newlyweds, or just to take friends to dinner ... and oh yeah the 6 year old twin grandsons to Braums for ice cream.

If you can't use them why build them, right? I, for one, would like to see pics of you zip van. Sounds like a cool fun project.

Comment

ZIP Van will be used

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                          I don't know that buying a Zip van is a "mistake". Maybe I am one of the very few, but I find them REALLY cool, and have come close to pulling the trigger more than once.

Seems like a very utilitarian vehicle to me. But then, I like weird stuff. I also still use most of my classics one way or another. My 49 Studebaker Farm truck has a ton (literally, 2000 pounds) of gravel in it right now, that I will be dumping with the functional dump bed ... this weekend. My 68 El Camino has a hidden trailer hitch, boxed in and beefed up rear frame rails, and can tow 9,000 pounds. My 64 Vanden Plas Princess (old British Limo that looks like a Rolls ..... same coach builder) gets used to drive kids to the prom or pick up newlyweds, or just to take friends to dinner ... and oh yeah the 6 year old twin grandsons to Braums for ice cream.

If you can't use them why build them, right? I, for one, would like to see pics of you zip van. Sounds like a cool fun project.

Once again, I guess I wasn't clear, Buying the ZIP Van was not the mistake. The mistake was believing the running condition of the van from an ebay seller. I've had to rebuild the engine, finding that someone had used parts totally NOT for the van and now, I need to have the transmission totally re-done. Ugh! I'll send pics when I get it back. I totally intend to use this van when it's ready. I live about 2 miles from my dairy farm (goats and miniature cows) and take my dogs with me every day, one or 2 times. Two of my dogs are Basset Hounds, so they are NOT good jumpers-- that's why the van. Right now they can't get in the truck, so I give them a boost into the back of the Lexus and that's just not fun for them. I can't wait for the ZIP van to work, so they are self sufficient for transport.

Comment

[QUOTE=tsenecal;1161038]It sounds like the torque converter may still be fine, and it just needs the ring gear replaced. I got mine from SI, and had the shop that rebuilt my transmission, remove the old, and weld the new ring gear on.[/QUOTE

I found a new one (NOS). But, thank you for the idea, perhaps I can have my old one fixed and make some of the money back--I've been sinking a LOT into this rebuild. I'm sure you're familiar with that problem if you've re-done a studebaker!

Comment

Originally posted by TX Goat Herder View Post
                              Two of my dogs are Basset Hounds, . . . I can't wait for the ZIP van to work, so they are self sufficient for transport.
                              No interest in a Zip Van for myself, but can picture how basset hounds would enjoy driving one on their errands.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X