Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: '61 Hawk Tachometer

Hi all,
    I am beginning to sort out the '61 Hawk project car I recently purchased. The rolling chassis and running gear are already restored. The rest of the car is in boxes. This question concerns the tach. It is the size of a beer mug and has 3 wires, black, white and green. I also have part of a harness with some oddball 3 pin wire connectors connected to the same color wires. The wiring diagram in the shop manual does not reference the tach either in the main diagram or the accessories diagrams. The only mention of it is a short note in the electrical section stating the the tach drive could only be used with the 1110864 distributor. That's the one I have but there is no drive in it. I assume this drive is some sort of pulse generator. The points and condenser have been replaced with a Pertronix Ignitor. What do I need to make this tach functional. Also, can anyone recommend a reputable instrument rebuilder.
    Thanks

the tach sits on top of the distributor with two longer spring clips holding it between the distributor and the cap. The drive for the tach is the top of the distributor, You take off the rotor, install the drive, and put the rotor on top of the tach sender
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I had the exact same problem you had in my 61 Hawk. The tachometer sending unit was long gone. So I replace mine with a "Classic Instruments" Tach (Model HR60SLF) and sent my old tach off to a forum member (along with $240) to get it upgraded to modern guts. Long story short, five years later that forum member still has my tach and my money, so I have decided to keep the Classic Instruments tach. I like it!
      sigpic
      1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Working...
      X